How to Make Mung Bean Pancakes (Pesarattu)
Yummy and Nutritious
Mung bean pancakes (pesarattu) are healthy, delicious, and filling. They make a wonderful breakfast. You can enjoy these tasty and mildly spicy pancakes on their own, or you can serve them with a chutney or sauce.
- 1/2 cup green gram (mung beans)
- 1/2 cup dehusked split mung beans (moong dal)
- 1/2 cup rice
- 1/3 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 5 cloves
- 2 to 3 green chilies
- 3 tablespoons fresh green coriander, roughly chopped
- 1/2 inch ginger, chopped
- 1 small cup onions, finely chopped, for the topping
- 2 teaspoons ginger, finely chopped, for the topping
- 1/4 small cup fresh coriander, finely chopped, for the topping
- salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon oil for making each pancake
- Wash mung beans (green gram), moong dal, and rice together. Soak them with fresh water. Set aside for 4 to 5 hours.
- Strain the water. Put the beans, dal, and rice in a grinder or mixer.
- Add ginger, green chilies, chopped coriander, cumin seeds, cloves, and salt. Grind to make a near-smooth batter.
- Transfer it to a bowl. For making mung bean pancakes, the batter should be neither thick nor thin. Add water to get the right consistency.
- Set the batter aside for 2 to 3 hours. Resting the batter will help you make naturally soft pancakes. Fermenting the batter is not required.
- Mix chopped onions, chopped green chilies, and chopped green coriander. This is for the topping.
- Heat a pan for making the pancakes. Grease it with ghee or oil. Pour about 1 1/2 ladle of batter in the center.
- Spread it to make a square or round shape. Make it a bit thick.
- Spread a teaspoon full of the topping mixture on the surface. Press it into the batter with the help of a spatula.
- Add a few drops of oil or ghee on the top. Turn the heat to medium-high. Cook until the bottom of the pancake becomes golden brown.
- Flip it. Cook until the other side is also golden brown. Remove the pancake and place it on a serving plate.
- Your favorite mung bean pancake (pesarattu) is ready! Make all the pancakes in a similar way. Serve them on a plate with a chutney or sauce. Enjoy the taste!
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||9|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 1 g||2%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 12 g||4%|
|Sugar 1 g|
|Fiber 5 g||20%|
|Protein 5 g||10%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 13 mg||1%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|