As a child, Edwin's mom told him, "If you want to eat, you should cook it yourself." And that's exactly what he's been doing ever since.
Polvorones are a type of crumbly cookie from Spain. Countries that were former Spanish colonies, such as Mexico, each have their own versions of this treat—and the Philippines is no exception.
Filipino polvorones often incorporate local ingredients to create uniquely Filipino flavors, such as pinipig (toasted rice) or ube (purple yam). The recipe I'm going to share with you here demonstrates how to make the basic (plain) version.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Read More From Delishably
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups powdered milk
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- Heat a wok over medium heat and add the flour. Toast the flour, stirring constantly, until flour turns golden brown. Place in a mixing bowl and set aside to cool.
- Add the powdered milk and sugar to the toasted flour and mix well.
- Add the softened butter and blend. Allow it to sit for about 10 minutes.
- Push the base or bottom part of the polvoron (or mooncake) mold down into the mixture, making sure the mixture inside the mold is as compact as possible (refer to photo below).
- Holding the middle part of the mold with your index and middle fingers and pushing on the plunger with your thumb (like a syringe), push out and release the shaped polvoron mixture onto a baking sheet (refer to photo below). Repeat steps 4 and 5.
- Refrigerate the baking sheet full of polvorones overnight to make them firm.
- Arrange polvorones on a serving plate and serve as a dessert or snack.
How to Use a Polvoron (or Mooncake) Mold
- You can use other types of molds besides the oval polvoron mold.
- Add other ingredients and flavors to the polvoron such as cinnamon or chocolate.
- You can also wrap each polvoron individually in plastic wrap so you can give them away to friends or so the kids can brown bag them to school.
- If you like soft, crumbly polvorones, then don't refrigerate them. After molding them into shape, serve immediately.