Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home without using preservatives and artificial colors.
A Mouthwatering Side Dish in Five Minutes!
Many people love pickles. Though there are a wide variety of pickles that you can buy in a store, I often prefer to buy authentic mango pickles. These tender pickled mangoes immersed in a spicy sauce are crunchy and awesome.
Preserved mangoes can be stored for two or three years. Though the color will become darker over time, they will still be good to eat. I made this side dish from a batch that I made some time ago.
Pickled mangoes impart many health benefits. They contain antioxidants and can aid in digestion.
This pickled mango side dish (known as uppinakai tambuli in the Kannada language) is yogurt-based and mildly spicy. Pair it with some steamed rice, and eat it at the beginning of the meal; this keeps your stomach cool. It can act as an appetizer as well.
Now, let's learn how to make this dish.
|Prep time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves four people
- 4 to 5 pickled mangoes, preferably picked from an old pickle
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- 1/4 dry red chili, less spicy variety
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 6 curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon ghee or oil
- 1 1/2 cups yogurt or curd, medium sour
- water as required
- salt to taste
- Roast cumin seeds with a few drops of ghee. Set aside to cool.
- Wash pickled mangoes in water. Roughly chop them. Put them into a mixer or blender.
- Add grated coconut, roasted cumin, and broken dry red chili to the blender. Grind, adding curd or water, to get a smooth paste. Place it in a mixing bowl.
- Now, add remaining curd and salt. (Be careful while adding salt because the pickled mangoes already contain some salt.) Mix well. Add more water if required to adjust the consistency (it should be moderately thick).
- Adding a tempering to this side dish will enhance the taste. To make the tempering: Heat ghee in a small pan. Throw in mustard seeds. Let them crackle. Add curry leaves. Mix once. Turn off the heat. Pour the tempering on top of the uppinakai tambuli. Mix once.
- Serve this yummy side dish with steamed rice. Eat the combo at the beginning of the meal, as an appetizer.