Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home without using preservatives and artificial colors.
A Nutritious and Delightful Drink or Side Dish!
Though I have made many types of yogurt-based side dishes in the past, pomegranate tambuli was a new recipe for me. I tried making it for the first time a few days back—and all of my family members liked it very much. It was truly a tasty and delightful side dish to serve with rice. You can also enjoy it as a soothing drink.
Pomegranate has many health benefits. It is known for its vitamin C, antioxidants, and anti-inflammatory properties.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 1/2 cup pomegranate kernels
- 3 tablespoons grated coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper corns
- 1 teaspoon ghee or butter (I use ghee)
- 1 1/2 cups medium-sour curds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds, for the tempering
- 6 curry leaves, for the tempering
- Salt to taste
- Heat 1/2 teaspoon ghee in a deep bottomed pan. Add cumin seeds and peppercorns. Let cumin sizzle.
- Throw in pomegranate kernels. Saute over medium heat for 4 minutes. The pomegranate seeds will change color, becoming pale and soft. Turn off the heat.
- Add grated coconut to the pan. Set aside to cool.
- Transfer the mixture into a mixer or blender. Add some curds and salt. Grind to get a smooth paste.
- Transfer it to a bowl. Add remaining curds. Add 2 to 3 cups of water. Mix well. Add salt, if needed.
- Now it's time to make the tempering: Heat remaining ghee in a small pan.
- Add mustard seeds. Let them crackle. Throw in curry leaves. Mix well. Turn off the heat.
- Pour the tempering on the pomegranate tambli. Stir well to blend.
- Serve it with cooked rice. Enjoy eating this mildly sweet and flavorful side dish.