Bockshiner has a big sweet tooth and tries to soothe it by making scrumptious desserts.
This Puerto Rican dessert is one of my favorite recipes.It consists of a layer of cake topped with flan and covered in caramel. You can use a boxed cake mix in this recipe—use your favorite! I prefer chocolate.
- 6 eggs
- 1 can condensed milk
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 box chocolate cake mix, or whatever your favorite is
- 1 egg
- 1/2 stick butter
- 3/4 cup water
For Caramel Topping:
- 1 cup sugar, for caramel topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix ingredients for flan in a bowl
- In another bowl mix the ingredients for the cake
- Melt the cup of sugar in a saucepan, being careful not to burn it. After it has melted, pour the caramel into a cake pan. Swirl the pan around to cover the bottom with caramel.
- Pour the flan mixture into the cake pan.
- Carefully pour the cake mixture on top of the flan mixture. It should float on top. Use a knife to spread it evenly across the top of the flan.
- Put the cake pan inside a larger pan of water (baño de maria)
- Place in the oven and cook for 45-60 minutes until the cake is done.
- Take the flancocho out of the oven and let it cool on the counter. Once it's cooled down a bit, run a butter knife around the edge of the cake pan to loosen the edges on the cake. Carefully turn the cake over onto a flat plate, inverting the cake.
- Refrigerate for 2–3 hours
Decorate as You Like!
The flancocho tastes great without any toppings. But if you like you can add strawberries or whip cream on top. Enjoy!
Vita on May 26, 2020:
I’ve made this flancocho many times following this recipe and the results were perfect and delicious every single time!
Consuelo molina on July 27, 2018:
Just made my flancocho it looks fabulous the coloring the moisture it is absolutely delicious thank you for the recipe
Rosemary Avitto-Soler on November 21, 2017:
I am planning on making this as a desert for Thanksgiving. I am a baker so I am hoping it does not split. Usually about 30 minutes to cool so Ill see what happens. Also use a large enough plate to invert it on the caramel drips all over. Delicious. I made it before using a different recipe.
Cari on December 24, 2014:
I made the flancocho and it was delicious but when I flip it over it doesn't hold up. It's like it splits. I did allow it to cool. Please let me know the trick so I can perfect it next time. Thank you
IslandBites from Puerto Rico on May 01, 2013:
You could pour the cake mixture into the pan before the flan mixture, does not matter. When it cooks, the cake batter will float to the top of the flan.
bockshiner (author) from Dallas, TX on July 05, 2012:
Thanks for your comments. Have any of you tried it yet?
Giselle Maine on June 16, 2012:
Mmmmm, looks so tasty! I will have to try it sometime soon.
sandonia on June 13, 2012:
I have gained weight simply looking at the picture. Curse you!
Brandon Martin from Colorado, USA on June 13, 2012:
Omgosh!!! Looks so good. We have to trythis! Thanks
AmiraHabibi from Italy on June 13, 2012:
sound to be delicious I want to try it
Michelle Keiper on June 12, 2012:
OMG There just went my diet. That looks irresistible.
bockshiner (author) from Dallas, TX on June 12, 2012:
It is amazing. Make it and let me know what you think.
Angela Brummer from Lincoln, Nebraska on June 12, 2012:
Oh I have to make this! It looks amazing!