Cooking is a hobby for me. As a trained chef, I appreciate food that is healthy and tasty.
Pumpkin Chapati Is a Delightful Recipe Variation
For people who frequently eat chapati with their meals, it's nice to discover tasty variations to prevent boredom. Common variations include the addition of onion, grated carrots, and other vegetables. In this recipe, we are adding pumpkin to the chapati. Butternut squash provides a similar flavor.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 20 min
2 hours 20 min
- 1 cup pumpkin (or butternut squash), mashed
- Cooking oil
- Pinch salt
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup warm water
- In a kneading bowl, add mashed pumpkin, salt, and 50 millilitres of cooking oil. Mix well with a fork.
- Slowly add flour into the mixture as you mix carefully. Knead to form a soft ball.
- Let the dough rest for 30 minutes. After that, knead it again for a few minutes.
- Divide the dough into 3 balls. Take one of the balls and roll it out.
- Apply oil to the rolled dough.
- Pick up one end of the dough and fold it inside until you reach the other end. Squeeze the rope-like dough to thin and elongate it.
- Take one end and start rolling it to form a small ball. Cut it once you achieve your desired ball size. Repeat this process until you use up the entire rope of dough.
- Fold each end of these balls to the middle to form a smooth round ball.
- Repeat the same process with the other big balls.
- Heat a chapati pan over moderate heat. In the meantime, take one small ball and roll it out thin.
- Put the rolled-out dough on the hot pan. Let one side cook for 1 minute, then flip. As the other side cooks, apply a tablespoon of oil on the cooked side. After 1 minute, flip the chapati again to allow the oiled side to cook. Apply 1 tablespoon of oil on the second side. After 1 minute, flip again to allow that side to cook, as well. Remove from the chapati pan and set aside (keep it warm, if possible; otherwise, it can harden).
- Repeat the same process with the other balls.
- Note: You may also cook the chapati by first drying them and setting them aside. Then oil them after you are done drying all the chapati.
- Serve the chapati with your favourite stew or beverage.
© 2019 Chef Sherrie