Rajan writes to share his knowledge of health, yoga, pranayama, alternative therapies, natural remedies, food recipes, and more.
Aloo means potato, and wadiyan refers to dried dumplings. These dumplings are usually prepared with a sun-dried fermented batter of lentils like mung beans or black lentils, as well as some spices. The dumplings are quite spicy and hot.
Mung beans are the healthiest of all the lentils, and they are also the easiest to digest. Learn about the many health benefits mung beans provide.
This is a traditional North Indian Punjabi dish. In the accompanying video, you can see how the wadi (plural: wadiyan) looks.
Read More From Delishably
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 10 min
1 hour 45 min
Serves four people
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 dried lentil dumpling
- 2 medium-sized potatoes, chopped
- 200 grams choliya (fresh green chickpeas)
- 2 onions + cloves from a whole garlic bulb, pureed
- 2 tomatoes, pureed
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves)
- 2 teaspoons hara dhania (cilantro), chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 600 to 700 milliliters water
- Pour oil into a pressure cooker. Turn the heat to high. Once the oil is hot, stir-fry the dumplings until roasted light brown. Remove and set aside.
- Add the pureed onions and garlic. Stir a few times and add the kasuri methi. Roast until the water dries up.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the ginger paste. Stir-roast until the masala turns light brown.
- Add the tomato puree. Give it a nice mix and add in all the spices and salt. Stir-cook for about 5 minutes or until the tomatoes are completely mashed.
- Add the cholia, chopped potatoes, and the dumplings. Stir-cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the water and mix well. Keep the heat on high and close the cooker. At the first whistle, reduce heat to low and cook for 5 minutes more, then turn off the heat.
- Open the cooker when the pressure eases down. The potatoes and peas should be cooked. Heat the dish and transfer to a serving bowl. In case the gravy is thin, heat it a bit longer until it thickens to your liking.
- Garnish with some chopped cilantro and serve with roti or rice.
© 2018 Rajan Singh Jolly