Rajan loves cooking dishes from his native Indian cuisine. He likes to share his favourite recipes with his online readers.
Baingan ka bharta is a smoked eggplant dish that is popular in the Punjab state of North India. It is simple to prepare and very yummy. It is traditionally served as a side dish at lunch or dinner with roti, an Indian flatbread, or paratha, which is a pan-fried version of roti.
Do try it and share your experience.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 500 grams large baingan (eggplants)
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp deghi mirch (red chilli powder)
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 pkt maggi magi masala
- 1-2 tbsp hara dhania (cilantro), chopped
- Roast the baingan over a direct flame until they are soft and the skin is charred. Remove and cool a bit; then remove the skins. Wash in water, transfer to a plate, chop, and set aside.
- Keep a pan on medium heat and put in 3 tbsp oil. When the oil is hot add in the chopped onions and saute until they turn pink.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes and saute until soft.
- Reduce heat to low and add the salt, turmeric powder, deghi red chilli powder, coriander powder and garam masala. Mix well and stir-cook for 1 minute.
- Add in the chopped eggplants, mix well, cover with a lid and cook for 10 minutes, stirring a few times in between.
- Lift the lid, raise the heat to medium-high, add in the maggi magic masala and mix well. Stir roast the eggplant mixture until the oil separates out.
- Add in the chopped cilantro, mix well and then transfer to a serving dish. Serve with roti or paratha.
Punjabi Baingan Bharta Recipe (Smoked Eggplant Mash)
© 2021 Rajan Singh Jolly