Rajan loves cooking dishes from his native Indian cuisine. He enjoys sharing his favourite recipes with his online readers.
North Indian Eggplant Dish
Baingan ka bharta is a popular North Indian vegetarian eggplant dish from the Punjab region. Traditionally served as a side dish to the main meal, it is prepared by roasting the eggplant over direct flame until the skin is charred, then mashing it up, adding some other ingredients and spices and cooking it until done.
Do try it and share your experience.
Read More From Delishably
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 500 grams large and thick baingn (eggplant)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon dhania (coriander powder)
- 2 teaspoons chopped hara dhania (cilantro)
- Roast the baingan directly over high flame until they turn soft. Let them cool until you can peel off the skin, and then chop them fine.
- Heat oil in a pan over high heat. Add the chopped onions and saute until they turn translucent.
- Add the chopped tomatoes. Stir for 1 minute and add the spices and salt. Stir-cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped baingan and mix well. Reduce heat to low and cover with a lid. Check back after 10 minutes and stir in between.
- Raise heat to high and stir-roast the eggplant until everything is well mixed (about 5 minutes). Add the cilantro and mix again.
- Adjust heat as needed and keep roasting the baingan until the oil separates out. At this point, the baingan bharta will start moving together as a mass when stirred.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with some cilantro. Serve with roti or paratha; or serve as a side dish with a meal.
Punjabi-Style Baingan ka Bharta Recipe (Roasted and Mashed Eggplant)
© 2021 Rajan Singh Jolly