Rajan writes to share his knowledge of health, yoga, pranayama, alternative therapies, natural remedies, food recipes, and more.
A popular Punjabi dish, gobi ke danthal is a curry that is made with cauliflower stems (stalks) and leaves. This dish is often prepared in the wintertime, as fresh cauliflower is plentifully available in the winter season.
To prepare this dish, we peel off the hard, fibrous outer portion of the cauliflower stems. The leaves are soft and do not require any special preparation.
Serve this as a side dish or have it as a standalone meal with roti or parathas.
Read More From Delishably
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 500 grams gobi ke danthal (cauliflower stems and leaves), washed, cleaned, and chopped
- 2 onions, pureed
- 1 whole garlic bulb, cloves peeled and pureed
- 3 tomatoes, pureed
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp amchur (mango powder)
- 1 chopped green chilli
- 3 tsp chopped hara dhania (cilantro)
- 1 cup / 200 ml water
- Add the oil in a pressure cooker and keep on medium heat. When the oil is hot, raise the heat to high. Add in the onion-garlic puree and saute until it is light brown.
- Add in the tomato puree and grated ginger. Stir and add in the green chilli, kasuri methi, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt, coriander powder, and garam masala. Stir until everything is well combined.
- Add in the cauliflower stalks and cook until the oil separates out from the masala. Keep the heat on high.
- Add the cilantro and give a stir. Then add the water and close the cooker. Keep the heat on medium until it gives 2 whistles; then put off the heat.
- Open the pressure cooker when the pressure is released. Check whether the cauliflower stems and stalks have softened or not. If they have, add the mango powder. Otherwise, cook until they soften then add the mango powder. Mix.
- Cook until the extra water dries up and keep stirring in between.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, garnish with a little cilantro, and serve with roti or paratha.
Punjabi-Style Gobi Ke Danthal Ki Sabzi (Cauliflower Stem and Leaf Curry)
© 2020 Rajan Singh Jolly