Rajan loves cooking dishes from his native Indian cuisine. He enjoys sharing his favourite recipes with his online readers.
Flavourful Punjabi Pulao Dish
Methi is fenugreek leaves. Pulao refers to any rice dish that has a variety of spices, veggies or green peas added to rice. This dish is cooked Punjabi style.
Serve it with plain dahi (yogurt) or raita (dahi mixed with a variety of possible vegetables and spices).
Do try this unique rice dish and share your feedback.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 20 min
1 hour 30 min
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 cups rice, washed a couple of times and soaked for 15 minutes
- 4 cups water, to cook the rice
- 500 grams methi (fenugreek leaves), ground to a fine puree
- water as needed, to grind the fenugreek leaves to a fine puree
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 tsp jeera (cumin seeds)
- 2 teaspoons garlic paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 to 5 cloves
- 1 inch cinnamon stick, broken into small pieces
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- Heat the oil and then add the garlic. Roast until it turns light brown.
- Add the fenugreek leaves puree and green peas. Stir-cook until about half of the water dries up. Keep the heat on high.
- Add the bay leaves, cinnamon, cloves and cumin seeds. (Add some chopped green chillies to the methi while grinding if you want you want a spicy pulao.)
- When about 75% of the water has dried, add the salt. Keep stir-roasting until the methi is roasted very well. This will eliminate the bitter taste of the methi.
- When the water has almost dried completely evaporated, reduce the heat to low. If the mixture seems too dry, add 1 tablespoon of oil. Carry on roasting until the methi is roasted nice and dark.
- Soak the rice in water about 15 minutes before the roasting is complete. After roasting the methi, taste it to check that it does not taste bitter. If it is bitter, continue roasting until it is no longer so.
- When the methi is read, add the rice and water. Keep the heat on high. When the water comes to a boil reduce heat to low and cover with a lid.
- Check the rice after 15 minutes. The water should have dried and the rice should be cooked.
- Cover with the lid and remove from heat. Let the rice sit for 5 minutes.
- Transfer rice to a serving bowl and serve with dahi (plain yogurt) or raita.
Read More From Delishably
Punjabi Methi Pulao Recipe
© 2021 Rajan Singh Jolly