Punjabi Sweet and Sour Mixed Vegetable Pickle Recipe
Pickles are an integral element of Indian cuisine in that they are a must-have at every meal. In this recipe, I will show you how to prepare a popular Punjabi pickle, the sweet and sour mixed vegetable.
Carrots, cauliflower, and turnips are traditionally used to prepare this authentic recipe. This is traditionally a wintertime pickle, as these vegetables are typically plentiful during the winter season. Do try this recipe and share your experience.
- 500 ml sarson ka tel (mustard oil)
- 500 ml white vinegar
- 2.5 kilograms carrots, cauliflower, and turnips, peeled, washed, and pat-dried
- 500 grams gur (jaggery)
- 25 grams turmeric powder
- 100 grams salt
- 25 grams red chilli powder
- 100 grams mustard seeds, ground
- 25 grams garam masala
- 150 grams garlic, paste/grated fine
- 150 grams ginger, paste/grated fine
- In a large patila (or wok), heat the mustard oil until it smokes on high heat. On another burner, put the jaggery in another wok and then add in the white vinegar. Keep the heat on high and let the jaggery melt completely. Keep stirring frequently.
- When the oil has smoked, add in the grated garlic and ginger and stir until they are well sauteed, about 4-5 minutes, taking care not to let their colour become brown.
- Once the jaggery has melted, take it off the heat and let it cool down completely.
- While the ginger and garlic are frying, add all the spices and salt to a large bowl and stir until they combine well.
- Once the ginger and garlic are roasted, reduce the heat to medium and add in the chopped veggies in batches in the oil in the following manner: add some veggies, then some of the spice mixture, then stir to mix. Repeat this procedure until all the veggies and spice mixture have been added and mixed.
- Cook the veggies for 7-8 minutes, stirring frequently to ensure that the veggies are not overcooked but still remain crunchy. When done, then put off the heat.
- Pour the cooled jaggery liquid through a strainer into the cooked veggies (the strainer removes any sediments). Mix everything well.
- Cover with a mesh and let it sit for 2 hours. Then remove the veggies to separate the liquid.
- Keep the wok with the remaining liquid on high heat and heat it until all the water dries up and only the thick oil and jaggery mixture remains. Put off the heat and cover with a wire mesh. Let it cool down completely.
- Add in the veggies to this cooled mixture and stir until well combined. Then transfer to a large jar and cap it tightly.
- Expose the pickle to sunlight daily for the next 6-7 days and shake it well once every day. The pickle will be ready to consume after 1 week.
Punjabi Sweet and Sour Mixed Vegetable Pickle
© 2020 Rajan Singh Jolly