Rajan loves cooking dishes from his native Indian cuisine. He enjoys sharing his favourite recipes with his online readers.
Ragi chapati, or ragi roti, is an Indian flatbread prepared with finger millet flour. Since finger millet is gluten free, chapati made with this grain makes a good alternative to the traditional wheat version. It is vegan, as well.
Enjoy this chaptati for breakfast on its own—or for lunch or dinner along with some cooked sabji (vegetables) and/or dal (lentils) and dahi (yoghurt).
Do try it and share your feedback.
Read More From Delishably
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
For the dough:
- 1/2 cup ragi atta (finger millet flour)
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- dry ragi flour as needed, for dusting
- oil as needed, for brushing
- Prepare the dough: Keep a wok on medium heat and add water. Add the salt and oil, give a stir and let the water come to a rolling boil.
- Remove from heat and add in the ragi flour. Stir until it mixes well with the water. Cover with a lid and let it rest for 3 minutes.
- Remove the mixture to a large plate and let it cool until you can easily handle it with your hands.
- Knead the mixture, wetting your hands with water when needed, until it turns into a soft smooth dough. If needed add a little oil at the very end.
- Divide the dough into 3 or 4 equal-sized portions. Take the first portion and. cover the rest with a cloth. Wet your hand and knead it again for 15-20 seconds; then roll into a ball, roll in some dry flour and with a rolling pin roll it out into a 6-inch round chapati. Similarly, knead each dough portion before rolling it out into a chapati.
- Heat an iron skillet on medium heat; then lower the heat to low-medium and place the chapati on it. Cook this side for 20-30 seconds; then flip it over.
- Cook the other side for 20-30 seconds before flipping it over again. Adjust the heat as needed.
- With a dry cloth keep pressing and rotating the chapati until one side is cooked then flip it over and cook the other side similarly. Transfer to a plate and prepare the rest of the chapatis in the same manner.
- Brush a little oil on one side of each chapati and serve with any vegetable of your choice.
Soft Ragi Chapati (Finger Millet Flatbread) Recipe
© 2021 Rajan Singh Jolly