Taco Soup and 14 More Favorite Mexican Recipes
15 Delicious Mexican Food Recipes
1) Taco Soup
2) Baked Jalapeño Poppers
4) Fresh Homemade Salsa
6) Mexican Tortilla Soup
7) Beef Tacos
8) Carne Asada
9) Roasted Red Pepper and Spinach Spanish Tortilla
10) Gringo Enchiladas
11) Bread-Machine Flour Tortillas
12) Jalapeño Cornbread
13) Sweet Empanadas
14) Dulche de Leche Bars
15) Mexican Wedding Cookies
Taco soup is a hearty spicy soup. It is easy to throw together and you will have a delicious quick meal. You could also do this in the crockpot. Serve with a chunk of hot cornbread or crusty French bread. You may double or triple however to serve a crowd on a cold winter night.
Ingredients for Taco Soup
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can Ro-Tel tomatoes
- 1½ cup frozen corn (or you could use yellow hominy)
- 2 (15.5 ounce) cans jalapeno pinto beans
- 1 bean can of water
- 1 package taco seasoning, dry
- 1 package Ranch dressing, dry
Instructions for Making Taco Soup
- Brown the ground meat and onions.
- Add the diced tomatoes, Ro-Tel tomatoes, corn, pinto beans, water, taco seasoning, and Ranch dressing, mixing well.
- Simmer about 45 minutes.
Baked Jalapeño Poppers
Jalapeño poppers are not for the folks that do not like spicy; some jalapeños are hotter than others. I always take the membrane and seeds out of mine. There are several ways you can make these popper, hope you like this recipe.
Bet you can't just eat one, even if your mouth is burning!
Ingredients for Baked Jalapeño Poppers
- 6 slices bacon, cut in half
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 10-12 jalapeños, depends on size
Instructions for Making Baked Jalapeño Poppers
- Slice the jalapeño pepper in half and remove the membrane and seeds, do not forget your gloves; set aside.
- Mix all the ingredients well.
- Stuff the pepper with the mixture, wrap half slice of bacon and secure with a toothpick, place in a baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 15 minutes, or until the bacon cooks.
Believe it or not, I hated avocados but learned to love them. Guacamole is one of my favorite ways to use them. I like to serve corn or potato chips to dip.Hass avocados are said to be the best of them all, they have a buttery rich taste.
Ingredients for Guacamole Dip
- 2 large ripe Hass avocados
- 2 small ripe tomatoes, romas are the best
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
Instructions for Making Guacamole Dip
- In a bowl, mash the avocado, leaving some chunks.
- Add in the remaining ingredients, mix.
- Makes about 1 ½ cups.
- Serve soon or it will turn dark, I press plastic wrap directly on it and seal, this help prevent this happening!
Fresh Homemade Salsa
This recipe was given my son's by a friend; they owned a Mexican restaurant. It is easy and very addicting. You may vary for your taste. Some like onion, add ¼ cup if you like.
Ingredients for Salsa
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes and juice
- 1 jalapeño pepper with seed or more if you like it hotter
- ¼ teaspoon salt or more to desired taste
- ½ cup cilantro
Instructions for Making Salsa
- I like to blister my jalapeño in a microwave dish with tight lid for about 1 minute, this takes the raw taste from the pepper. This is optional.
- Place all the ingredients in a 12 cup food processor or blender.
- Blend well.
- To blend the flavors, refrigerate for one hour.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
- Ready, how quick is that.
Pozole (Mexican Pork And Hominy Stew)
Pozole is a delicious hearty Mexican stew made with pork and hominy. You can also make with chicken or beef if you like. There are many different recipes for making Pozole, this is one of them. Serve with pozole, bowls of chopped onions, cilantro, crackers, lime wedges, shredded cabbage, sliced radish, shredded cheese, tortillas, chopped avocado, and just about anything you think would be good! Pozole is a common cure for a hangover!
Ingredients for Stew
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- ¾ pound boneless loin chops, diced, trim fat off
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cups water plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 (15 ounce) cans yellow hominy, rinsed
- 1 (14 ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 (4 ounce) cans diced green chiles
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1-2 tablespoon lime juice
Instructions for Making Stew
- Heat a large pot with oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the diced pork to the pot, stir browning meat about 1-2 minutes; remove to a plate.
- Add the onions and 2 tablespoons of water; reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Cook the onions 5-7 minutes until soft, stirring occasionally.
- Add the onions, garlic, cumin, and the coriander; cook stirring constantly, about 1 minute.
- Using a whisk add remaining 2 cups water, broth and cornmeal, increase heat to high and bring to simmer; stirring often.
- Next add hominy, pepper, salt, and Chiles; return to simmer; reduce the heat to medium-low, stirring often until mixture is thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the lime juice to taste; stir.
- Add the pork back to the pot; cook stirring occasionally until pork is done, about 1-2 minutes.
Get you a bowl and dig in!
Makes 6 servings, 1 1/3 cups each
Mexican Tortilla Soup
Mexican tortilla soup is spicy and warming on a cold winter day or any time of the year. This recipe is quick and easy to fix using rotisserie chicken. You will have a delicious soup to accompany a taco salad, chicken fajitas, chicken enchiladas, cheesy quesadillas, chimichanga or just about any Mexican dish.
Ingredients for Tortilla Soup
- 1 (9 ounce) package soft corn tortillas
- 2 (32 ounce) boxes or cans chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 2 medium jalapeños, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- Sliced juice of 1 lime
- 2 ears grilled corn
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- 8 ounces Monterrey Jack cheese or Mexican blend cheese, shredded
Instructions for Making Tortilla Soup
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut the tortillas into 1/2-inch strips.
- Arrange the tortilla strips on a baking sheet and bake 8 to 10 minutes or until crispy.
- In a large saucepan add the chicken broth and chicken; simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add to broth mixture; tomatoes, red onion, cumin, jalapeños, and lime juice.
- Heat about 5 minutes.
- Cut the corn from the cobs and add it to the soup.
- Divide the tortilla strips among 4 bowls.
- Ladle in the soup and top with cilantro, avocado, and cheese.
Tips From Margie Lynn
- You may microwave the corn instead of grilling
- You can boil your own chicken and use it and the broth.
- May add a dollop of sour cream if you like.
- Be careful when cutting the jalapeño. I recommend using gloves; they can burn your hands.
It is hard to beat a meal with beef tacos, if you prefer you can use any meat filling you desire. I am a beef girl myself. Do not get me wrong I also like pork, chicken, turkey, shucks I like it all!
I do not like the store bought taco shells, they just crumble when you take your first bite, shoot you should just call it taco salad with them. I like the flour tortillas, which they call soft taco. If you like the crunchy shells feel free to use them. Let's make some beef tacos for dinner tonight.
Ingredients for Beef Tacos
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 package taco seasoning mix
- 12 flour tortillas or taco shells
- Cheese, shredded (your favorite, I like Colby Jack Cheese)
- Sour cream
- Tomatoes, chopped
- Lettuce, shredded
- Onions, chopped
- Anything you like!
Instructions for Making Beef Tacos
- Follow the directions on taco seasoning package.
- Heat the flour tortillas in a skillet.
- Assemble the taco with your favorites.
This carne asada recipe is simple to make and very good. This dish of carne ssada is excellent served with your choice of steamed rice, Spanish rice, refried beans, tossed salad, or French fries. It is also served stuffed inside tacos or burritos.
Ingredients for Carne Asada
- ½ cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 pounds round steak, trimmed, deboned and tenderized
- ½ cup picante sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 whole under-ripe tomato, finely chopped
- 1 whole large white onion, finely chopped
Instructions for Making Carne Asada
- In a large skillet, bring the olive oil to a browning temperature.
- Crush the garlic and add to the oil.
- Let marinate for a few minutes.
- Add the steak and brown on both sides.
- After steak is partially browned, spread the picante sauce on top of one side.
- The picante side is not to be turned over into the oil.
- Cook for five minutes; salt and pepper to taste.
- By hand or food processor, finely chop the onion and tomato together.
- Spread the chopped mixture over the top of the meat.
- Add the water to the skillet until meat is partially covered.
- Stir to produce a thin gravy.
- Turn the heat down, cover, and simmer for a least one hour.
Makes four servings.
Roasted Red Pepper and Spinach Spanish Tortilla
The Spanish tortilla or also called “tortilla española”, is filled with potatoes, onions, and eggs. The best potatoes to use are Yukon Gold or red-skinned new potatoes. It's similar to an omelet or frittata. There are many variations to the Spanish Tortilla. It is best made in a 9-inch iron skillet. A great dish for breakfast or any time of the day!
Ingredients for Spanish Tortilla
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 1¾ pounds red potatoes with skins, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1½ cups packed baby spinach
- 1 cup thinly sliced roasted red pepper, drained
- ½ cup yellow onion, chopped finely
Instructions for Making Spanish Tortilla
- You can use a cast iron skillet or a large non-stick skillet to make a Spanish Tortilla.
- Add to the skillet 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, heat on medium-high.
- To the heated skillet add the onion and garlic; cook two minutes.
- Next add cubed potatoes, black pepper, and salt; mix.
- Cover skillet and cook about 15 minutes, until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked potatoes to a large bowl; mix spinach in and let cool 10 minutes.
- Mix roasted red peppers and eggs with potato mixture.
- Clean skillet out with paper towel; heat 1 ½ teaspoon olive oil over medium heat.
- Add mixture to heated skillet; cook.
- Use a spatula to run around the edges of tortilla, shake gently occasionally to keep it from sticking until the eggs set.
- It will take about 12 to 14 minutes.
- Invert carefully onto a large plate.
- Heat remaining olive oil; slide the tortilla back into skillet with the cooked side on top.
- Cook an additional five minutes or until a golden brown.
- Turn back out onto a plate; let the tortilla cool for 10 minutes.
- To serve slice into wedges.
I love Mexican food, but it does put the pounds on me! Enchiladas is one of my favorites, I do have many favorites!
You may also substitute one whole cooked boned chopped chicken for the ground beef. Sides dishes of salad, Spanish rice or refried beans would be delicious.
Ingredients for Gringo Enchiladas
- 1½ pounds lean ground beef
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 10 to 12 flour tortillas
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies
- 5 ounces evaporated milk
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 pound Mexican Velveeta cheese
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- Salt to taste
- Shredded Cheddar cheese
Instructions for Making Gringo Enchiladas
- Brown ground beef with onion, garlic and salt; drain grease.
- Place 2 tablespoons filling in each tortilla and roll.
- Place in a greased casserole dish.
- Combine Velveeta, chilies, soup, milk and meat; heat until cheese melts.
- Pour over enchiladas.
- Top with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees in oven for 15 to 20 minutes until heated through.
Bread Machine Flour Tortillas
Bread machine tortillas are a quick and easy way to make tortillas. I have issues with kneading and stirring because my hands have arthritis in them.
Fresh homemade tortillas are a great treat for the family. They can be used for quesadillas, breakfast burritos, fajitas or just buttered and devoured!
Sometimes mine are not so round, but it does not matter, they still taste yummy. You can also buy a tortilla press that makes them for you, I think I will look for one! You can keep dough balls refrigerated, so you can have the fresh, hot tortillas anytime!
Okay, you will need to get the bread machine all set-up.
Ingredients for Flour Tortillas
There are only four ingredients:
- 2 cups bread flour (or wheat flour)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoon shortening (or olive oil)
- ½ cup water
Instructions for Making Flour Tortillas
Now we are ready to start putting ingredients in bread pan:
- Place all ingredients into pan; water, shortening, salt and flour.
- Set the machine to the dough cycle.
- The dough should form a ball, you may need to add a little flour or water.
- Stop the machine when the dough cycle finishes.
- Place dough on floured surface.
- Divide dough into 8 pieces.
- Coat dough with flour on both sides and roll into a round shape, as much as you can. (Ha, ha not so easy!)
- Lightly coat a skillet or griddle with oil or non-stick baking spray.
- Cook on medium heat about 1 minute on each side, it will have little black spots on them, like the ones you buy. Do not over-cook, tortillas should be pliable not stiff!
- Cover with towel while cooking other tortillas to keep warm.
Homemade Jalapeño Cornbread
We like things a little spicy at our house, if you do not, just leave out the jalapeños or maybe try green bell peppers.
Jalapeño cornbread is delicious with all types of dishes, not just with Mexican food! It is a great side with soups!
Ingredients for Cornbread
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup oil or bacon drippings (grease from cooking bacon)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 (8 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 4 tablespoons jalapeños, chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
Instructions for Making Cornbread
- In a large bowl mix cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and garlic powder.
- Add milk and eggs; beat.
- Add bacon dripping or oil, onion, corn, jalapeños and cheese; mix well.
- Bake at 375 degree in greased muffin pans or whatever you like until golden brown, about 15 to 17 minutes.
Flank Steak Fajitas Recipe
Video Recipes on How To make Flank Steak Fajitas
Dulce de Leche Cheesecake Bars
I love any recipe that has the words cream cheese or cheesecake in them! Dulce de leche cheesecake bars are a scrumptious dessert, they would be a perfect Valentine dessert for that special someone in your life!
Ingredients for Cheesecake Bars
- 2¼ cups graham cracker crumbs
- 10 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 (8 ounce) containers cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup dulce de leche (see note)
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup dulce de leche
- 3 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- Sea salt, optional
- Dulce de leche can be found at the supermarket, near the sweetened condensed milk. This recipe uses most of a 15.85 ounce jar.
Instructions for Making Cheesecake Bars
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9-inch x 13-inch x 2-inch pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix graham cracker crumbs, cinnamon and sugar; add melted butter.
- Pour mixture into pan and press down onto the bottom of the pan; bake 10 minutes.
- Beat cream cheese and sugar on medium speed with electric mixer until creamy.
- Add one egg at a time, beating after each one.
- Add vanilla extract and Dulce de leche; mix.
- Pour filling into cooled crust.
- Place in 350 degree oven and bake until center is firm and edges puffed and it will be cracked.
- Cool completely.
- In a microwave-safe bowl combine Dulce de leche and cream; heat in 10 seconds intervals until melted.
- Stir to blend; if too thick to pour add more cream until pour-able.
- Spread evenly over cool cheesecake.
- Chill for one hour.Cut into bars and sprinkle with sea salt if you like.
Yields 24 bars.
Mexican Wedding Cookies
This recipe for Mexican wedding cookies comes from my daughter-in-law, Sherrie. She is always requested to brings these to the family Christmas Eve meal.
Mexican wedding cookies are delicious and make a great gift for a friend or family member for any special occasion or holiday.
Ingredients for Mexican Wedding Cookies
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups pecans, finely chopped
- powdered sugar
Instructions for Making Mexican Wedding Cookies
- Preheat oven to 375 degree F.
- Cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add vanilla extract; mix well.
- Add ½ cup of flour at a time.
- Blend by hand or with a fork.
- Add pecans and mix well.
- The mixture should be stiff, if not stiff add more flour.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls and place 1-1/2 inches apart, on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake on medium shelf in oven for 7-10 minutes at 375 degree F.
- When cool enough to handle but still warm, roll cookies in powdered sugar that has been put into a bowl.
- Store in covered container.
This recipe make approximately 4 dozen cookies.
Tips From Margie Lynn
- May use almonds in place of the pecans if you desire.
- Be careful that cookies are cool enough to handle before rolling in the powdered sugar.
Vote for favorite Mexican Food!
What is your favorite Mexican food?
Questions & Answers
© 2016 Margie's Southern Kitchen