My name is Lakshmi, and I am a homemaker. I love cooking and experimenting with different recipes.
Punjabi Masala Recipe
Paneer butter masala is the perfect complement for naan, jeera rice, or chapathi. The particular recipe comes from the Punjab region of India. It features a rich and creamy texture—but as you'll see, there's no cream required.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
4 to 5 servings
For the paneer butter masala:
- 4 tablespoons ghee
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 capsicum, diced
- 200 grams paneer, cut into cubes
For the creamy base:
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 15 cashews
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Salt, to taste
- Make the creamy base: Add all of the creamy base ingredients in a mixer jar and grind it to a smooth paste. Set aside.
- Heat oil and ghee in a pan. Add the onions and saute it for a while; then add the ginger-garlic paste and stir-fry till the onions become soft and the raw smell goes away.
- Add the capsicum and saute for 5 minutes. Add the creamy base into the pan and cook for 6 to 7 minutes over medium heat.
- Once the oil separates from the gravy, add the paneer cubes and mix well. Cover with a lid and allow it to cook for 5 minutes over low heat.
- Now the gravy is ready. Turn off the heat and enjoy.
Lakshmi (author) from Chennai on July 25, 2020:
Hi liza,you are welcome .yes,it would be delicious and easy to make at home itself.
Liza from USA on July 25, 2020:
The paneer butter looks delicious, Lakshmi. My husband and I have had paneer butter at the Indian restaurant. It was yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe.