How to Make Rice Sevai Upma
A Soft and Delicious Meal That Easily Fits in a Lunch Box
I made rice sevai (vermicelli) upma for today's breakfast. This dish gives you the freedom to add your own masala options. I wanted to have a simple breakfast in the morning. Hence, I skipped vegetables here just for a change.
This upma came out smooth, soft, and delicious. It had a tempting aroma of lemon, coconut, roasted peanuts, and green chilies. You can also add par-boiled vegetables to this. Trust me, this upma was great even without that!
I used a branded rice vermicelli packet to make this dish. I followed the instructions and got perfect vermicelli. Unlike wheat vermicelli upma, rice sevai upma is not sticky. You don't need any side dish to eat it with.
Let's now find out in detail how to make rice sevai upma.
- 200 g rice sevai (rice vermicelli), I used Dragon vermicelli packet
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 4 green chilies, slit, cut in long pieces
- 1/4 cup peanuts
- 8 curry leaves
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp white lentils(urad dal)
- 3 tsp oil
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt, or as per taste
- Pour boiling water on the vermicelli. Keep it covered for 4 minutes. Strain the water. Spread vermicelli on a plate. This procedure suits to Dragon rice vermicelli.
- For preparing the vermicelli of any other brand, you have to follow the instructions written on the package.
- Next, heat oil in a deep bottomed pan. Throw in mustard seeds. Let them crackle. Add green chilies. Saute for a minute.
- Add white lentils, peanuts, and curry leaves. Saute until lentil turns golden brown and peanuts get roasted.
- Turn off the heat. Add cooked sevai, sugar, salt, grated coconut, chopped coriander, and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Turn on the heat. Keep it medium-low. Stir the mix once or twice to blend the vermicelli with the other ingredients. Let the mixture become warm.
- Turn off the heat. Your favorite, yummy rice vermicelli upma is ready to serve!
- Serve it as is or with coconut chutney.
- Enjoy eating this flavorful and delicious breakfast.
- You can also carry this in your lunch box for later use. Sevai upma remains tasty even when it is cold.
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 2 g||3%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 28 g||9%|
|Sugar 1 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 5 g||10%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 22 mg||1%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|