Roasted Split White Lentil (Urad Dal) Coconut Chutney Recipe
An Awesome Side Dish in Just Ten Minutes!
Yes, you read that right! You can make this roasted white lentil (urad dal) coconut chutney in a very short amount of time. This recipe is both quick and easy to prepare.
White lentils are loaded with protein and fiber. They are also a good source of copper, zinc, vitamin B, magnesium, manganese, folate, potassium, etc. In addition to being healthy, roasted lentils are also delicious, with a wonderful aroma.
Serve this chutney with cooked rice, dosa, idly, or curd rice. This can be a good side dish with any meal.
Let me show you how to make this white lentil coconut chutney.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons split white lentil (urad dal)
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 5 dry red chilies, broken
- gooseberry-sized piece of tamarind, roasted or soaked in water
- 2 pinches hing (asafoetida), solid or powder
- 1/3 teaspoon salt, or as per taste
- Place white lentils (urad dal) in a deep-bottomed pan. Add a few drops of oil. I use coconut oil because I like its flavor.
- Roast over medium-low heat while stirring continuously. Roast them uniformly all around.
- Once the lentils become golden brown and you get a nice aroma, turn off the heat.
- Add broken dry red chilies and solid hing to the pan. This is just to make them crispy. Add tamarind piece, if you are not soaking it in water.
- Set aside the pan to allow the mixture to cool down. Next, transfer the contents to a mixer or grinder. Add grated coconut and salt.
- Grind, adding water to get a near-smooth paste.
- Your tasty and aromatic chutney is now ready to enjoy. Serve with cooked rice, dosa, idly, or with any other main course.