Rajan loves cooking dishes from his native Indian cuisine. He likes to share his favourite recipes with his online readers.
Sabja, also called tukhmaria, are sweet basil seeds. A good source of several minerals, they are also thought of in India as a natural body coolant. For this reason, they are used in many beverages and desserts that are popular in the summertime, including falooda, milkshakes, curd, buttermilk etc. Consuming sweet basil seeds in the summer helps reduce the risk of summer stress, heat stress, heatstroke and other issues that crop up in the body due to excess body heat.
Here are several other important health benefits of sweet basil seeds.
Do try this healthy and delicious summer beverage and share your experience.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 10 min
- 250 ml chilled milk (or almond milk), previously heated and cooled
- 1 tsp sabja (tukhmaria or sweet basil seeds), washed and soaked in 1 cup water for 1 hour
- 2 tbsp palm jaggery syrup (or sugarcane or sugar), or to taste
- Ice cubes (optional)
- Wash and soak the sabja in 1 cup water for 1 hour. Drain the water and transfer the seeds to a glass.
- Add the chilled milk.
- Add the palm jaggery syrup and stir well
- Add ice cubes if desired and stir. Serve immediately and enjoy.
Sabja (Basil Seed) Milkshake Recipe
© 2021 Rajan Singh Jolly