I worked as a banker for 17 years. I love staying fit and cooking tasty and healthy meals. I don't use artificial colors and preservatives.
What Are Rice Semolina Steamed Dumplings?
A popular Indian breakfast, rice semolina steamed dumplings, or rice pundi, are soft, round rice dumplings. This healthy snack is made from rice semolina, grated coconut, and an assortment of tasty seasonings.
Serve three to four of them on a plate with spicy onion chutney or any other chutney of your choice. Enjoy this lovely breakfast!
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 180 g (approx) rice semolina
- 1 1/2 heaped cup grated coconut
- 1/8 cup parboiled hyacinth beans (optional)
- salt, to taste
- 3 tablespoons yogurt or thick curd (optional, gives fresh white color to the dumplings)
For the tempering:
- 12 curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon white lentil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 2 teaspoons oil
- hing powder
Read More From Delishably
- Heat oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Add mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds. Let mustard crackle. Add white lentil, hing powder, and curry leaves. Fry till lentils turn golden.
- Add rice semolina. Mix well. Stir-fry for 3 minutes on low fire. Add warm water little by little to immerse the entire semolina. You may have to use about 2 cups of water. See that there are no lumps.
- Add salt, parboiled hyacinth beans (optional), and grated coconut. Stir-cook on low fire till the mix becomes dry and a bit mushy. Turn off the fire. Let it cool.
- Make the steamer/cooker ready for steaming the dumplings.
- When the mix is still warm, take a fistful of the mix, press inside the fist and shape it like a ball. Flatten a little and make a depression in the center as shown in the pic. You can even make any other shape. Make shapes using the entire mix.
- Arrange the dumplings inside the cooker plate. Cover the lid and steam cook for about 10 minutes. Turn off the fire.
- Partially open the cooker/steamer. Allow it to cool. You can take the dumplings out once they are not so hot.
- Rice semolina and bean steamed dumplings are ready to serve. Serve them 3-4 in a plate accompanied with spicy onion chutney or with any other spicy chutney. Enjoy eating these yummy dumplings!
Hyacinth Bean Variation
Add some fresh hyacinth beans with the rice semolina. All other procedures remain same. Don't forget to parboil the beans before adding, however! These dumplings will have nice bean flavor in them.