How to Make Shalgam Masala (Turnip Curry)
Turnips are a very healthy vegetable, and with winter here there is a flood of fresh turnips in the vegetable markets. Time to prepare turnip pickle, turnip curry, and more.
If you are among those who do not enjoy eating turnips because of their flavor, I can assure you that this particular dish will have you asking for more. So do give it a try and share your experience in the comments section below.
- 2 tablespoons desi ghee (clarified butter)
- 500 grams shalgam (turnips), peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 2 teaspoons hara dhania (cilantro), chopped
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon + 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon + 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- In a pressure cooker, add the chopped turnips, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, and water. Close the cooker, keep the heat on medium, and cook for 2 whistles. Then put off the heat.
- Open the cooker when the pressure subsides. Strain out the water and keep the boiled turnips in the cooker.
- Mash the turnips to a smooth consistency with a hand masher. Set aside.
- In a wok, add the desi ghee and keep the heat on high. When it melts, add in the ginger paste. Saute for about 30-40 seconds.
- Add in the mashed turnips. Give a stir and add the salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala, sugar, and 1 tsp cilantro. Mix well.
- Cook on low-medium heat until the water dries up and the ghee separates out. Keep stirring in between.
- When done, remove to a serving bowl and garnish with the remaining cilantro.
- Serve with roti.
Shalgam Masala (Turnip Curry) Recipe
© 2019 Rajan Singh Jolly