Rajan loves cooking dishes from his native Indian cuisine. He enjoys sharing his favourite recipes with his online readers.
North Indian Curry Dish
Shimla mirch paneer sabji, or capsicum and cottage cheese curry, is a popular North Indian vegetarian dish. It pairs well with rice, roti or both.
Do try this dish and share your feedback.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Read More From Delishably
For frying the capsicum onon and paneer:
- 1 medium onion, quartered and rings separated
- 1 medium capsicum, diced
- 250 grams paneer (Indian cottage cheese), cubed
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
For the gravy masala:
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 1 tsp jeera (cumin seeds)
- 3 hari elaichi (green cardamom)
- 3 lavang (cloves)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 1 tbsp garlic pase
- 1 tsp besan (chickpea flour)
- 2 medium tomatoes, pureed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp deghi red chilli powder
- 1 tsp dhania (coriander powder)
- 1/4 tp haldi (turmeric powder)
- 4 tbsp dahi (yoghurt)
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves)
- 2 tbsp hara dhania (cilantro), chopped
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 cup water, or as needed
- In a pan heat the oil and saute the onion, capsicum and paneer cubes for about 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Now prepare the gravy masala: In the same pan, add oil again and let it heat up. Add the jeera and let it crackle. Add the green cardamom and cloves and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the finely chopped onion and saute it until it turns light pink.
- Add in the ginger and garlic pastes and saute until they turn light brown.
- Add the besan and saute until it turns brown and aromatic.
- Add the tomato puree, salt, kashmiri red chilli powder, deghi mirch, dhania powder and haldi powder. Stir-cook the mixture on low-medium heat until the oil separates out.
- Reduce the heat to low, add in the dahi and mix well. Add the garam masla and kasuri methi. Mix well and add the sauteed diced paneer, onion and capsicum. Mix well and add the sugar. Stir-roast for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the hara dhania and water. Add more water if you prefer a thinner gravy. Mix well, raise the heat to high and let the mixture come to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover with a lid and cook for 5-7 minutes, checking it a few times in between.
- Transfer the dish to a serving bowl and serve with rice or roti.
Shimla Mirch Paneer Sabji (Capsicum and Cottage Cheese Curry) Recipe
© 2022 Rajan Singh Jolly