How to Make Sweet Diamond Cuts (Shankerpali)
Sweet Diamond Cuts (Shankerpali)
Sweet diamond cuts (shankerpali) are tasty teatime snacks that will melt in your mouth. There are three ways to make them, and all of them taste great.
- Spicy: The first type is only spicy. They are super crunchy and are like thin crackers.
- Sweet: The second type is only sweet. They are thicker than the spicy ones. They are made using ghee for the dough. These are flavorful and delicious, and they can be compared to sweet cookies.
- Sweet and spicy/salty: The third variety is mainly sweet and a little spicy or salty. This too has a special flavor.
My daughter prefers the third type, and so this is the one I made yesterday. They are both sweet and a little spicy.
All three varieties of diamond cuts can be kept in an airtight container for months at room temperature.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup ghee
- 1 cup water
- 300 g (approx) plain flour (maida)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder (optional, I used)
- 1–2 teaspoons milk or water (water extends the shelf life)
- 1/2 teaspoon fine semolina (optional, I used it for crunchiness)
- Keep ready all the ingredients.
- In a pan, add ghee, sugar, and water. Heat it. Mix the contents. Let the contents boil for 2–3 minutes. Turn off the heat. Transfer the mixture to a big bowl. Set aside to cool.
- Add salt, fine semolina (gives crunchiness to the snack), and red chili powder to the same bowl. Add the plain flour little by little and knead to get a soft and firm dough. You can use 1–2 teaspoons of milk or water while combining the dough. No need to rest the dough.
- Heat oil for deep-frying.
- Pinch out a big lemon-sized ball of dough. Shape it like a ball and then flatten. Roll it out to get a disc of moderate thickness. It should not be too thin or too thick.
- Cut the disc by drawing parallel lines on it with the help of a diamond cutter or knife. You can cut it in square shapes or diamond shapes. Chop out uneven edges if any. Combine the discarded dough pieces with the remaining dough.
- Drop the diamond cuts into the hot oil. Fry them over medium-high fire for 2 minutes. Turn them occasionally to ensure uniform frying. Reduce the fire and fry until they become golden. Remove and place them on an absorbent paper towel.
- Repeat the same with the remaining dough. When they cool down, collect them in an airtight container. Munch these crunchy snacks anytime you desire!
Photo GuideClick thumbnail to view full-size
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||72|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 8 g||12%|
|Saturated fat 4 g||20%|
|Carbohydrates 35 g||12%|
|Sugar 15 g|
|Fiber 0 g|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 22 mg||1%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
© 2017 ShailaSheshadri