Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make simple, nutritious, and tasty foods at home.
Bottle Gourd Chutney: Tasty and Healthy
Bottle gourd (sorekai) is a nutritious vegetable that is extremely low in saturated fats and cholesterol. It is a good source of vitamins, fiber, calcium, and folates.
Bottle gourd chutney is quick and easy to make. All you need to do is cook and grind the bottle gourd, and then mix in the other ingredients and spices. The tempering adds a nice kick. Pair this chutney with cooked rice and enjoy the flavors. You can also serve it as a side dish with dosa, idli, etc.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 2 cups bottle gourd (sorekai), peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup coconut, grated
- 2 teaspoons split chickpea (gram dal)
- 3 teaspoons white lentils (urad dal), divided
- 4 to 5 dry red chilies, broken, not too spicy
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons coriander leaves (optional)
- 1 teaspoon tamarind pulp
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds, for the tempering
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- a few curry leaves, for the tempering
- 3 teaspoons oil, divided
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Add split chickpeas, 2 teaspoons white lentils, and broken dry red chilies. Saute on low heat until the lentils become golden brown.
- Add chopped bottle gourd, tomatoes, and salt. Adding salt quickens cooking. Increase the heat and saute until the bottle gourd gets cooked. Sprinkle some water if needed.
- Add coriander leaves and garlic. Continue to saute for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow the mixture to cool down.
- Transfer the mixture to a mixer jar. Add grated coconut, tamarind pulp, and remaining salt. Grind to get a smooth paste. Collect it in a bowl.
- Make the tempering: Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a small pan. Throw in mustard seeds, 1 teaspoon white lentils, and curry leaves. Saute on low heat until the mustard seeds crackle and the white lentils become golden brown. Turn off heat and transfer it to the bowl containing the chutney. Mix well.
- Mouthwatering sorekai chutney (bottle gourd chutney) is ready to serve. Serve this side dish with cooked rice, dosa, idli, etc. Enjoy the taste and health benefits!