Rajan loves cooking dishes from his native Indian cuisine. He enjoys sharing his favourite recipes with his online readers.
Soyabean appe is not only delicious, it is high in protein and packed with healthy vegetables. You can use any veggies of your choice. It is easy to prepare and does not take much time.
Try it and share your experience.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Read More From Delishably
For boiling the soya nuggets:
- 1 cup small soya nuggets
- 4 cups water
For the batter:
- 1 cup sooji (semolina)
- 1 cup dahi (yogurt)
- 1 small onion, chopped small
- 2-3 tbsp cilantro
- 1 small tomato, chopped small
- 1/2 bell pepper, chopped small
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- 1 green chilli, chopped small
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 5 tbsp or as needed water, to thin the appe batter
- Oil as needed, for greasing the appe pan and drizzling over the appe
- Tomato sauce, for serving
- Mint chutney, for serving
- Keep water in a pot on medium heat and let it come to a boil. Add the soya nuggets and let them boil them until they are soft.
- While the soya nuggets are boiling, combine the sooji and dahi in a mixing bowl. Mix well and then cover with a lid. Let it rest for 15 minutes.
- When the soya nuggets are soft, strain out the water and wash them under running water until the water runs clear. Squeeze out the excess water but keep them moist. Grind the nuggets into a coarse paste and set aside.
- After the sooji has rested for 15 minutes, combine the coarsely ground soya, all of the veggies, salt, spices and baking soda. Mix well and then add water (as much as needed) to make a thick batter of the consistency shown in the video below.
- Put 1 tbsp of the batter in each well of a pre-greased appam pan. Keep the pan on low heat and cover with a lid. Cook for 4-5 minutes until the appe turn golden on the underside.
- Drizzle a few drops of oil on each appe and flip them over. Cover with a lid again and cook until the undersides turns golden.
- Serve appe with tomato sauce and mint chutney.
© 2022 Rajan Singh Jolly