Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home without using preservatives and artificial colors.
My Favorite Teatime Snack
Spicy diamond cuts (khara sankarpali) is my favorite festival or teatime snack. You can make them in bulk and store them in an airtight container; they stay fresh and crunchy for 20–25 days. Serve them to guests with a cup of tea or coffee.
I made a large container full of spicy diamond cuts in just one hour. Let me share the recipe now.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 5 min
A container full of spicy diamond cuts
- 3 heaped cups plain flour (maida)
- 2 teaspoons chiroti rava (fine wheat semolina)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon oil, for the dough
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, or as per taste
- 1/2 teaspoon carom seeds
- oil for deep-frying
- In a large mixing bowl, add plain flour, chiroti rava (fine semolina), red chili powder, carom seeds, sesame seeds, butter, and salt. Mix them without adding water.
- Adding water little by little, knead it to make a firm and pliable dough. Apply some oil on the surface, cover, and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Next, divide the dough into 5 equal portions. Take the first portion. Gently knead it again and make a patty.
- Heat the oil for deep-frying.
- Now, start making diamond cuts. Dust the patty with plain flour and roll to get a thin and large disc. Keep the remaining dough covered, so that it won't dry up.
- Cut the disc to make diamond shapes by drawing lines across with the help of a diamond cutter or knife.
- Gently drop about half a portion of the raw diamond cuts into the medium-high hot oil. Don't overcrowd them.
- The cuts will immediately puff up and come to the surface. Turn them at intervals. After 3 minutes, reduce the heat and fry on a low heat until the diamond cuts become crispy and golden.
- Frying a batch may take about 5–6 minutes. Once they are done, remove them and place them on an absorbent paper towel. Repeat the same for making all the diamond cuts.
- Spread the diamond cuts on a paper for some time to allow them to cool down. When they cool completely, store them in an airtight container.
- Munch them whenever you desire or serve them with a cup of coffee or tea. They make the best teatime snacks!
Read More From Delishably
© 2017 ShailaSheshadri