Cooking is one of my passions. I enjoy sharing recipes from my native Indian cuisine.
Tasty and Healthy Radish Chutney
This chutney features sauteed raw radish in addition to other healthy ingredients. Radish is a good source of antioxidants and minerals, including potassium and calcium. This root vegetable may help reduce blood pressure and the risk of heart disease. The recipe is very quick and easy—it took me only 15 minutes!
Serve radish chutney with idli, dosa, roti, paratha, cooked rice, chapati, etc. It makes a tasty side dish with all types of meals.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 1 cup radish, grated
- 2 tablespoons split chickpeas (chana dal)
- 2 tablespoons white lentils (urad dal)
- 10 curry leaves
- 3 dry red chilies (byadigi chilies or less hot variety chilies)
- 1 teaspoon tamarind, soaked in water for 10 minutes
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar (optional, to balance the flavor)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Wash, peel, and grate the radish. Set aside.
- Add oil to a deep-bottomed pan and heat it. Add split chickpeas, white lentils, coriander seeds, curry leaves, and broken dried red chilies.
- Saute over medium heat until the lentils become golden brown and crispy.
- Add chopped onions. Saute until the onions become pinkish. Add grated radish. Continue to saute for 2 more minutes or until the radish is semi-cooked.
- Add grated coconut and mix. Turn off the heat and allow it to cool.
- When the mixture reaches room temperature, add it to a mixer jar. Add tamarind, salt, and sugar.
- Grind it while adding water as needed to get a smooth, semi-solid chutney.
- Transfer the chutney to a serving bowl. No need to add any tempering to this chutney because the ingredients of this chutney have been fried with oil. Adding a tempering will unnecessarily increase the oil content in the chutney.
- Serve radish chutney with cooked rice, dosa, idli, chapati, paratha, etc. It goes well as a side dish with all types of meals. Enjoy this tasty and nutritious chutney!