I like to cook and eat natural, healthy, and tasty foods, and I enjoy sharing recipes from my native Indian cuisine.
A Unique, Mouthwatering Dish: Perfect for Brunch
Savory potato stuffed rice balls are an easy-to-make breakfast or brunch dish. These balls are crunchy on the outside due to the rice covering and soft on the inside due to the potato stuffing. The stuffing is made with boiled potatoes and spices.
There are four main steps involved in making this dish: making the stuffing, preparing the rice dough, making the stuffed balls, and shallow-frying them in a special pan (a pan with cavities).
Savory potato stuffed rice balls are delicious and nutritious. They make a filling breakfast or brunch. Serve them hot with coconut chutney, green chutney, or tomato sauce.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
For the dough:
- 2 medium cups rice flour
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 2 cups water, or as needed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the stuffing:
- 3 medium-sized potatoes, boiled, peeled, and mashed
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 pinches turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin-coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mango powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 pinches sugar (optional, to balance the taste)
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon oil, to shallow-fry each balls
Step 1: Make the Dough
- Heat oil in a deep bottomed pan. Add cumin seeds and let them crackle.
- Add water and salt. Allow the mixture to come to a gentle boil; then reduce the flame and add the rice flour.
- Stir the mixture continuously so that the rice flour cooks without forming any lumps. If needed, sprinkle a bit more water.
- Stir continuously until the mixture comes together like a dough ball. The dough should have a smooth and pliable consistency, neither hard nor too soft. Turn off the heat.
- Transfer the dough to a plate and allow it to cool. When it is still warm, knead it to form a smooth and pliable dough.
- Cover it and set it aside.
Step 2: Make the Stuffing
- Boil, peel, and mash the potatoes. Add it to a mixing bowl.
- Add red chili powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, dry mango powder (amchur powder), cumin-coriander powder, chopped coriander leaves, salt, and sugar. Mix well. This makes the stuffing for the rice balls.
Step 3: Make the Stuffed Rice Balls
- Divide the dough into many big lemon-sized portions. Also, divide the stuffing mixture into the same numbers as the dough.
- Take one of the dough portions in your palm. Make a small cup by patting and smoothening the edges. Moist your fingers if the dough appears a bit dry.
- Place a stuffing portion inside the cup.
- Join the open end to cover the stuffing on all sides. By keeping it between two palms, get a ball shape.
- Make the rest of the stuffed balls that you need for your first batch. Cover the remaining dough and the stuffing.
- Heat a pan that has many cup-shaped cavities (paddu pan). I used a pan with seven cavities.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon oil to each cavity. Place a stuffed dough ball in each of the cavities. Keeping the medium flame, roast the balls by turning them around inside the cavity and adding drops of oil.
- When the balls become golden brown and crunchy, remove them with the help of a spoon. Make the next batch in the same way.
- Your favorite savory potato stuffed rice balls are ready to serve! Serve them hot with coconut chutney, green chutney, or tomato sauce. Enjoy eating these balls for breakfast or brunch. They make a filling and delightful breakfast.