I like to cook and eat natural, healthy, and tasty foods. I use minimal oil and don't use artificial colors or preservatives in my cooking.
A Nutritious and Delicious Breakfast Without Planning
Sometimes, we want a healthy breakfast but don't have time for anything that requires advance planning. In these cases, consider making spicy wheat flour pancakes.
These pancakes are made of whole wheat flour, yogurt, vegetables, and spices. Not only are these pancakes super healthy and super tasty, they have a unique taste due to the addition of potato.
Whole wheat flour is high in vitamins, iron, calcium, folic acid, zinc, minerals, and fiber. This flour adds a soft texture and mild aroma to the pancakes.
Serve these pancakes hot with coconut chutney or tomato sauce.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 2 cups wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups yogurt or curds, fresh
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup potato, grated, soaked in water, and strained
- 1/2 teaspoon carom seeds
- 1 to 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1/2 inch ginger, grated
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cooking soda/baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon or less ghee or oil, to make each pancake
- Put the wheat flour in a large mixing bowl. Add yogurt or curds. Mix very well, so that there are no lumps.
- Add some water to adjust the consistency. The batter should be moderately thick, just like idli batter.
- Add chopped onions, tomatoes, chopped coriander, carom seeds, grated ginger, grated potato, chopped green chilies, and salt. Mix well.
- Add cooking soda (baking soda). Gently mix it into the batter. Now you can start making the pancakes. (If you don't want to use soda, leave the batter covered for an hour. Afterward, make the pancakes.)
- Heat a flat pan. I used a non-stick pan in order to minimize oil use.
- Grease the pan with oil. Pour 1 1/2 ladles of the batter in the center. Spread it to make the pancake.
- Add a few drops of ghee or oil on the top and the edges. Keep the heat medium-high.
- Flip it when the bottom becomes golden brown. Apply some ghee or oil to the other side, too.
- Remove the pancake once both the sides are golden brown.
- Repeat the same steps for making all the pancakes.
- Serve the hot pancakes with coconut chutney or tomato sauce. Enjoy the combo! This is a filling breakfast.