My name is Lakshmi, and I am a homemaker. I love cooking and experimenting with different recipes.
Crab gravy is a treat for seafood lovers, and it is my husband and son's favorite recipe. Crab is also good for bone health and immunity. Since it is rich in phosphorous, it helps to improve the function of the liver and kidneys.
In this recipe, we use fewer spices so that the flavor of the crab will shine through. Generally, it is good practice to avoid adding too many spices when cooking seafood, or else the aroma and taste of the meat will be overpowered.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
4 to 5 servings
For the curry:
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- Handful of curry leaves
- 2 tablespoons chilli powder
- 1 kilogram crab, cleaned
For the curry base:
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 30 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 2 medium onions, roughly chopped
- 1 small tomato, roughly chopped
- salt, as required
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin and pepper. Once it starts to splutter, add the garlic cloves and chopped ginger and saute for 2 minutes. Then add the onions and tomato and stir-fry till the onion becomes glossy.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow it to cool. Transfer the contents to a mixer jar and grind it to a smooth paste. Set aside.
- To make the curry, heat oil and add mustard seeds. Once they splutter, add the crab, turmeric, and curry leaves and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the ground curry base and mix well with the crab. Then add chilli powder and pour in some water. Cover with a lid and cook for 10 minutes.
- Once the oil separates from the curry, remove from heat and garnish with some curry leaves. Enjoy this dish with some hot rice.
Lakshmi (author) from Chennai on July 26, 2020:
Hi liza...thanks for commenting,yes crabs are delicious to eat.Try this recipe and you will it too..
Liza from USA on July 26, 2020:
I love crab. In Malaysia, we have a similar recipe, Lakshmi. My favorites are crab with curry and crab with coconut cream. Both are equally delicious. Usually, we eat the dish with steamed white rice for lunch or dinner. Thank you for sharing the recipe. The spicy crab curry looks delicious! It makes me hungry!