Rozlin loves to cook healthy food for her loving family, and she wants to share this recipe with her readers.
Split Chickpea Lentil Curry
Split chickpea lentil curry is prepared with spit chickpea lentils, also called chana dal in Hindi, or Bengal gram lentils in English. This curry is flavoured with onion, tomato, Indian powdered spices and whole spices.
Serve this healthy and saucy dish with roti and rice.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 1 cup split chickpea lentils
- water, as needed for soaking
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (zeera)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- 1 cardamom
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red chilli powder (lal mirch powder)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhaniya powder)
- 2 cups water, for cooking
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter)
- 2 green chillies, slit
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- Wash and soak spilt chickpea lentils for 2 hours.
- Heat oil in a cooking pot. Add cumin seeds, cinnamon, cloves, and cardamom. Sauté until cumin seeds turn brown.
- Add chopped onion and sauté until golden brown.
- Once the onion turn golden brown, add ginger-garlic paste and sauté until the raw smell dissipates.
- Add chopped tomato, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and coriander powder. Mix well.
- Cook until tomatoes are softened and oil separates. You can add 1-2 tablespoons water to speed up the process.
- Add soaked spilt chickpea lentils with the water. Mix well.
- Bring to the boil over high flame. Then lower the flame and cover and cook until lentils are done.
- Once the lentils are cooked, take some lentils on a spatula and smash them with the help of fork to form a gravy.
- Add garam masala powder to enhance the flavour. Mix well and turn off the flame. Add coriander leaves.
- Prepare the tempering: Heat some ghee in a tempering pan. Add slit green chillies and red chilli flakes. Pour the tempering on the prepared curry. You can pour it into the serving bowls, too.
- Serve hot with roti or rice.
Read More From Delishably
© 2022 Rozlin