Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home without using preservatives and artificial colors.
Lentil Baskets With Garbanzo Beans Are Truly Appetizing!
Some leftover fenugreek leaves lying in my kitchen prompted me to make this yummy breakfast snack. It's actually two different dishes in one: lentil baskets and black chickpea salad.
I thought that making both dishes simultaneously might be cumbersome, but to my surprise, it wasn't. When I was done, I topped a basket with the black chickpea filling. Wow! It was just fantastic.
These are filling snacks. Only three or four of them would make for a good breakfast. They don't really need any side dish or sauce to accompany them; they are delicious on their own. Now, let me share the recipe with you.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 3/4 cup split pigeon pea (toor dal), soaked in water for 4 hours
- 2–3 tbsp fenugreek leaves, washed, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp grated coconut
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 2 pinches hing (asafetida powder)
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup black chickpeas, washed, soaked in water overnight, for the salad
- 1 tbsp grated coconut, for the salad
- 1 green chili, finely chopped, for the salad
- a pinch hing (asafetida powder), for the salad
- 2–3 curry leaves, roughly chopped, for the salad
- 1/6 tsp sugar, for the salad
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds, for the salad
- 1/2 tsp oil, for the salad
- 1/6 tsp turmeric powder, for the salad
- salt to taste, for the salad
The following instructions are divided into three separate sections for your convenience.
How to Make the Lentil Fenugreek Baskets
- Wash the split pigeon peas and soak them in fresh water for 4 hours, then strain.
- Put them into a mixer or blender. Add the chopped green chilies, grated coconut, salt, and hing powder.
- Pulse them to get a medium-smooth paste. There is no need to add water while grinding.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl. Add the finely chopped fenugreek leaves and mix well. Taste the mix and adjust the salt content according to your taste.
- Prepare the steamer for cooking. Grease the steamer plate. Take a big lemon-sized chunk of batter and shape it like a small bowl.
- Make additional bowls in the same way until you've used the entire batter. Place the bowls on the steamer plate and steam-cook for 12 minutes. Turn off the stove. Now, the baskets are ready.
- Open the lid and take out the steamer plate. The baskets should now be firm. Arrange them on a serving dish.
How to Make the Black Chickpea Salad
- Soak chickpeas overnight, then strain. Add fresh water and some salt.
- Cook them in a pressure cooker for up to 3 whistles then simmer for 12 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Open the lid once the pressure releases naturally. Strain and collect the chickpeas.
- Heat oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Throw in the mustard seeds and let them crackle. Add the chopped green chilies, hing powder, turmeric powder, and chopped curry leaves.
- Sauté for 30 seconds. Throw in the cooked chickpeas.
- Add sugar and very little salt, as you have already added salt while boiling chickpeas.
- Sauté until the water content in the chickpeas evaporates. Throw in the grated coconut and mix well. Turn off the heat. The black chickpea salad is ready.
How to Fill the Lentil Baskets With the Chickpea Salad
- Arrange the lentil baskets on a serving dish.
- Fill each of these baskets with the black chickpea salad. Refer to the photos belopw for the proper technique.
- Serve 3 or 4 of these salad-filled baskets for a delicious and nutrient-rich breakfast. Enjoy!