I worked as a banker for 17 years. I love staying fit and cooking tasty and healthy meals. I don't use artificial colors and preservatives.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves eight people
- 2 cups ash gourd, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup French beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup yellow pumpkin, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup any other vegetable, but do not use sweet vegetables
- 1 teaspoon white raw rice, soaked in water
- 1 big cup or 2 medium cups yogurt or curd, sour curd preferred
- 1 cup coconut, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon hing/asafoetida powder
- 4 green chilis
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, as per taste
Scroll to Continue
Read More From Delishably
For the tempering:
- 8 to 10 curry leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 dry red chili, broken into two
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ghee/butter/oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- Wash the vegetables. Cut them into pieces as per instructions.
- Take 2 cups of water in a pot. Pour the vegetable pieces into it. Add some salt. Cook till they are done yet still crisp. Switch off the stove. Keep the pot covered.
- Place grated coconut, green chili, cumin seeds, soaked white rice and asafoetida in a mixer/grinder. Make a smooth paste, adding some water.
- Pour this mix into the pot containing the cooked vegetables. Switch on the stove. Put the fire on medium-high. Add yogurt or curd. Throw in salt. Mix well. You can add water to get the required consistency. Normally, this dish should have a thick texture. Let it boil for 5 minutes. Simmer on the stove for 2 more minutes.
- Remove the pot from the stove top.
- Now, it is the time to make the tempering. Heat oil/butter/ghee in a small pan. Add mustard seeds to it. Add cumin seeds when the mustard starts crackling. Throw in the broken red chili and curry leaves. Mix once. This is called tempering.
- Transfer the tempering onto the stew. Mix well. Keep the pot covered.
- This vegetable stew is ready to serve. Serve it with hot rice or any other type of pancake. The best part is that you can eat the fresh vegetable pieces just like that, as they are very tasty and not so spicy.