Rajan writes to share his knowledge of health, yoga, pranayama, alternative therapies, natural remedies, food recipes, and more.
Makki, or maize/corn, is a millet. Millets are a type of grain that is naturally gluten free.
Makki ka atta is maize flour. Also called corn flour, it should be understood that it is not cornstarch or cornflour (written as one word), which is made from the ground endosperm, but corn flour (written as two words), which is finely ground dried whole corn kernels.
Maize flour is a gluten-free flour, so when made into a dough there is no elasticity in it. Therefore, the preparation of maize flour (corn flour) dough is slightly different from the usual wheat flour dough.
Two Ways to Prepare Maize Flour Dough
- Traditional method: This method, which is commonly used, is akin to preparing wheat flour dough. It results in a thick and coarse dough, which makes for a thick and coarse maize flour roti.
- Alternative method: This is the method I will explain in this recipe. It makes a very smooth and soft dough, and consequently, a thin and very soft maize flour roti.
Read More From Delishably
The included video shows this process in detail. Try making maize flour roti by this method and share your experience.
Note: You can use this method for all gluten-free flours, including millet flours, to prepare a soft and smooth roti.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 1 cup makki ka atta (maize flour or corn flour)
- 1/4 tsp ajwain (carom seeds)
- dry maize flour, as needed
- cold-pressed moongfali ka tel (groundnut oil or peanut oil) or any type of oil, as needed
- Put the water in a pot and keep on medium heat. Add the ajwain and let it come to the boil.
- Remove from heat and add in the maize flour. Mix well, cover with a lid and let it rest for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer the flour-water mixture to a plate. Apply some oil on your hands and knead the mixture. Then dip your hands in water and knead the mixture for 3 to 4 minutes until a soft and smooth dough is formed.
- Heat a tawa over low heat and start making a roti. Take about 1/4 of the dough and cover the dough with a cloth. Roll the dough into a flattened ball and dust with dry flour. With a rolling pin, roll it out into a thin roti.
- Grease the hot tawa with some oil and place the roti on it. Keep the heat on medium and let the roti cook for about 20 seconds; then flip it over and let the other side cook for about 20 seconds.
- Flip the roti again, spread some oil on it, flip it again and spread oil on this side too. Cook the roti by repeatedly flipping it over until it is cooked with brown spots on both sides. Prepare the remaining rotis similarly.
- Serve the makki ki rotis with sarson ka saag (mustard greens curry), pickle and salad.
Super Soft Makki Roti (Maize Flour Flatbread) Recipe
© 2022 Rajan Singh Jolly