Rajan writes to share his knowledge of health, yoga, pranayama, alternative therapies, natural remedies, food recipes, and more.
Naan is an Indian flatbread that is traditionally cooked in a clay tandoor oven. Tawa naan, on the other hand, is prepared without using an oven. It is cooked on a tawa or griddle.
Traditionally, naan is served with any curry dish. In the photo above, we have paired it with veg kheema masala, a soya granules dish, but naan can also be enjoyed with a meat curry, as well.
It is preferable to prepare tawa naan with all-purpose flour. However, if you prefer, you can use whole wheat or a combination of whole wheat and all-purpose flour. Depending on your choice, the amount of baking powder will need to be adjusted.
Read More From Delishably
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 45 min
- 1 cup maida (all-purpose flour)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- kalonj (nigella seeds)
- hara dhania (cilantro), chopped
- Put the flour in a kneading dish and make a well in the center.
- Add the sugar, salt, baking powder, and oil in the well. Mix well.
- Add the milk, little by little, and knead until a sticky dough is formed. Knead for about 5 minutes until you have a smooth and soft dough. Cover this with a damp cloth and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Dust your fingers with some dry flour and make 4 equal-sized flat pedas (flattened balls) from this dough. Cover with a damp cloth and let it rest again for 15 minutes.
- Heat a tawa (griddle) on medium heat so that it is nice and hot by the time you finish rolling out the naan.
- While the tawa is heating up, take a piece of dough, sprinkle it with some dry flour, then roll it out into a thick oblong- or round-shaped roti shape.
- Brush some melted butter on it. Sprinkle it with a little kalonji and some cilantro, then lightly roll it with a rolling pin so that these stick to the naan.
- Flip the naan on your palm. Dip your fingers in water and wet the underside of the naan.
- Place the naan, wet-side down, on the hot tawa griddle. Press all around the edges lightly so that the naan sticks to the tawa nicely. Cook for about 1 1/2 minutes on low medium heat, cooking it evenly all over by moving the tawa as needed over the flame.
- Loosen the stuck naan with a spatula and put it on a plate. Prepare the other naan similarly.
- Serve the naan with any gravy or with veg keema curry with some sliced cucumber and onions as garnish.
Tawa Naan (Indian Flatbread) Recipe Without Yeast or Oven
© 2018 Rajan Singh Jolly