My name is Lakshmi, and I am a homemaker. I love cooking and experimenting with different recipes, especially those from my native India.
Prawns bring an extraordinary flavor to recipes. Not only that, prawns are very healthy, too. They are a rich source of minerals such as zinc, copper, and magnesium that can help build strong bones and a healthy immune system.
This recipe requires very few ingredients, and it comes together quickly in just a few minutes of active prep time. Before cooking, the prawns need to be cleaned and then marinated with spices for 30 minutes. I used coconut oil in this recipe, which lends a lovely aroma. You can use ghee or any other cooking oil instead, but the coconut oil adds a special touch.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
4 to 5 servings
- 250 grams prawns, cleaned and washed
- 2 tablespoons ginger-garlic paste
- 2 teaspoons chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper powder
- 1 green chilli
- Pinch turmeric
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil or ghee
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- Handful curry leaves
- Marinate the prawns with chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, pepper powder, turmeric, green chilli, and 1 tablespoon of ginger-garlic paste. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Heat coconut oil (or ghee) in a tawa and add the mustard seeds. Once they start to splutter, add the onions, tomato, curry leaves, and the remaining ginger-garlic paste. Saute.
- Add the marinated prawns to the tawa and saute until the prawn masala becomes dry and glossy. Switch off the flame and serve the prawn masala with freshly chopped onions.
Lakshmi (author) from Chennai on December 27, 2020:
You are welcome liza and thank you for your interest in this recipe.
Liza from USA on December 25, 2020:
Yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Lakshmi (author) from Chennai on December 24, 2020:
Thank you peggy woods and Agnes laurens for your valuable comments.
Peggy Woods from Houston, Texas on December 24, 2020:
Thanks for this delicious sounding recipe.
Agnes Laurens from The Netherlands on December 24, 2020:
This seems like a nice recipe. Thank you for sharing.