Teatime Snacks: How to Make Gram Flour (Besan) Fafda
An Appetizing Teatime Snack
Fafda is a crunchy and flavorful Gujarati teatime snack that is made from besan, or chickpea flour. Chickpeas are a rich source of vitamins, minerals, protein, and fiber. I like to make chickpea-based snacks because they are nutritious, as well as appetizing. Children and adults alike love fafda; the snack melts in your mouth and leaves you craving more.
The recipe is both quick and easy to prepare. It took me only about 30 minutes, and I made enough for 4 people. You can store this snack for 15-20 days in an airtight container, which allows you to munch them whenever you desire.
Let's learn how to make this delicious snack at home.
- 1 1/2 cups gram flour (besan)
- 1 teaspoon pepper, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon carom seeds
- 2 pinches turmeric powder
- 2 pinches cooking soda (baking soda)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oil, for the dough
- oil for deep frying
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- In a mixing bowl, add gram flour, carom seeds, salt, baking soda, crushed pepper, and oil. Mix them.
- Add water little by little and make a pliable dough. Apply a few drops of oil on the surface. Cover the dough with a kitchen towel or vessel. Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, gently knead the dough a bit. Next, make it a long rod of about 1-inch diameter.
- Cut the rod into 3/4-inch or 1-inch pieces.
- Now you will elongate each of them. Begin by placing one piece on a greased board or kitchen platform. Roll lengthwise with a rolling pin, making it thin and elongated. (Traditionally, people used to elongate them using only their palms. Since this is a bit tricky to do, I use the easier method of the rolling pin.)
- Prepare 6-8 such shapes.
- Deep-fry them in medium-hot oil until they are crunchy.
- After each is deep-fried, place them on an absorbent paper towel. Repeat the procedure to make the remaining fafda. Allow them to cool down completely.
- Serve fafda with gram flour chutney, pickle, or fried and salted green chilies. You can also eat fafda alone, without any accompaniment. They are super tasty on their own. However, eating them with a side dish tastes amazing!
Nutritional Information of Fafda
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||72|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 8 g||12%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Carbohydrates 16 g||5%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 5 g||10%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 10 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|