Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home without using preservatives or artificial colors.
A Rare, Unique Tomato Recipe
Tomato tambuli is a fantastic side dish from India. It is truly a very easy and simple dish to make.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups fresh curd, not sour
- 3 tbsp grated coconut
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1-2 dry red chilies, not so hot variety, broken
- 2-3 cups water, or as needed
- 1 tsp ghee or oil
- a pinch sugar (optional, to balance the flavors)
For the tempering:
- 1/2 tsp ghee or oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 4 curry leaves
- 1 tsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Heat the ghee in a deep-bottomed pan. Throw in cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
- Add the dry red chilies. Saute for 5 seconds. Add chopped tomatoes.
- Throw in some salt. This will speed up cooking. Stir-cook over medium-high heat until tomatoes are mushy. Turn off the heat.
- Transfer it to a mixer or blender. Add grated coconut, a pinch of sugar, remaining salt, and some curds.
- Grind to get a smooth paste. Collect the paste in a large bowl.
- Add remaining curds. Add water. Stir nicely. Check for taste. Add salt, if needed. Now, the tambuli is ready!
- Make the tempering: Heat 1/2 teaspoon ghee in a small pan. Throw in mustard seeds and let them crackle.
- Throw in curry leaves. Mix well. Turn off the heat. Pour it on the tambuli. Add finely chopped coriander leaves. Mix well.
- Serve with steamed rice or drink a cup of it as is. Enjoy the taste.