Rajan loves cooking dishes from his native Indian cuisine. He enjoys sharing his favourite recipes with his online readers.
Turai, also called rama tori and gilki, includes sponge gourds like smooth gourd and ridge gourd. You can use any of these gourds, including zucchini, to prepare this soup recipe.
Since these gourds have a very mild taste, the addition of different spices is important to impart flavour. Here is one such recipe that you ought to try and see for yourself. Your feedback will be much appreciated.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 250 grams turai (rama tori/gilki/sponge gourd/ridge gourd)
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 teaspoon jeera (cumin seeds)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped hara dhania (cilantro)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 cups water, or as needed
- 1 to 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- red chilli flakes, for garnish
- Remove the ends of the turai; then slice half and chop into small pieces.
- Keep a pan on medium-low heat and add the butter and oil. Let the butter melt. Add the jeera and let it crackle.
- Add the chopped onion and raise the heat to medium. Sute until the onion turns light pink.
- Add the ginger and garlic pastes and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the chopped cilantro and mix well.
- Raise the heat to low-medium. Add the chopped turai and black pepper powder. Stir to mix.
- Add the salt and mix. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add water and mix well. Raise the heat to medium-high and let the water come to a boil; then reduce the heat to low-medium and cover with a lid. Cook until the turai turns soft.
- Pour the mixture in another vessel and let it cool down until it is just warm.
- With a hand blender blend the mixture to a fine puree. Add in the lemon juice.
- Keep the turai puree to heat up on medium heat. Adjust the soup consistency by adding water or heating the soup for some more time.
- Pour the turai soup into serving bowls, garnish with some red chilli flakes and serve.
Turai (Sponge Gourd) Soup Recipe
Read More From Delishably
© 2021 Rajan Singh Jolly