How to Make Vegetable Momos
Momos Are Popular Worldwide
Originating in China, momos are steamed dumplings with stuffing inside. This yummy snack is now popular all over the entire world. Everyone, from young to old, loves these dumplings.
Momos are very nutritious. The health benefits are due to its veggie stuffing. Herbs like ginger and garlic give a special flavor to this snack.
Making momos takes quite some time. But once you make the wrappers and the stuffing, it is easy to make the dumplings. The time and effort it takes to make them is worthwhile when you consider the health benefits as well as the delicious flavors.
Here, I will share a detailed recipe for making vegetarian momos.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (maida)
- 1/2 tsp cooking oil, for the dough
- 1 tbsp cooking oil, for the stuffing
- 2-3 tbsp water
- 2 cups vegetables, chopped
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp ginger & garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp black pepper, powder
- salt, to taste
- Begin by making the dough. Combine all-purpose flour, oil, and salt. Knead the mixture, adding water little by little. Prepare a firm dough. Cover the dough with a moist cloth. Set aside for 20 minutes.
- Next, prepare the momo stuffing. Heat oil in a pan. Saute chopped onion or spring onion whites and ginger garlic paste.
- Continue sauteing until the raw smell disappears.
- Add chopped vegetables. Stir-fry over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper powder. Throw in chopped spring onion greens. Mix well. Cook for 1 more minute.
- Finally, add soy sauce. Stir-cook for a few seconds. Switch off the stove.
- Stuffing is ready now. Spread it on a plate to cool.
- Divide the dough into 18-20 equal balls.
- Roll each ball into round shapes of 2 1/2 inch diameter. This is your wrapper.
- Next, place a spoonful of stuffing in the center of the wrapper.
- Start folding the edges like pleats. Dip your fingers in water to seal the edges.
- Make all momos this way.
- Now you are ready to steam-cook the momos. Heat a pressure cooker or a steamer.
- Grease the perforated plate with oil. Place it inside the steamer.
- Arrange momos on the plate, leaving a little gap from one another.
- Steam for 6 minutes. If using a pressure cooker, don't use the weight. Turn off the heat. They are done!
- Transfer the momos to a serving bowl. Enjoy eating hot momos with schezwan sauce or any other sauce or dip. Enjoy!
Some Important Tips for Cooking Momos Right
Steam momos for 6 minutes only. Increasing the cooking time may dry them up. Once momos are done, they will appear shiny. This is your indication to stop further cooking.
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||9|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 1 g||2%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 6 g||2%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 1 g||2%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 50 mg||2%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|