Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home.
Momos Are Popular Worldwide
Originating in China, momos are steamed dumplings with stuffing inside. This yummy snack is now popular all over the entire world. Everyone, from young to old, loves these dumplings.
Momos are very nutritious. Their health benefits are due to the veggie stuffing. Herbs like ginger and garlic give a special flavor to this snack.
Making momos takes quite some time. But once you make the wrappers and the stuffing, it is easy to make the dumplings. The time and effort it takes to make them is worthwhile when you consider the health benefits as well as the delicious flavors.
Here, I will share a detailed recipe for making vegetarian momos.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 30 min
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (maida)
- 1/2 teaspoon cooking oil, for the dough
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil, for the stuffing
- 2 to 3 tablespoons water
- 2 cups vegetables, chopped
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ginger and garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, powder
- salt, to taste
- Begin by making the dough. Combine all-purpose flour, oil, and salt. Knead the mixture, adding water little by little. Prepare a firm dough. Cover the dough with a moist cloth. Set aside for 20 minutes.
- Next, prepare the momo stuffing. Heat oil in a pan. Saute chopped onion or spring onion whites and ginger-garlic paste.
- Continue sauteing until the raw smell disappears.
- Add chopped vegetables. Stir-fry over medium-high heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper powder. Throw in chopped spring onion greens. Mix well. Cook for 1 more minute.
- Finally, add soy sauce. Stir-cook for a few seconds. Switch off the stove.
- The stuffing is now ready. Spread it on a plate to cool.
- Divide the dough into 18 to 20 equal balls.
- Roll each ball into a round shape with a 2 1/2-inch diameter. These are your wrappers.
- Next, place a spoonful of stuffing in the center of the wrapper.
- Start folding the edges like pleats. Dip your fingers in water to seal the edges.
- Make all the momos this way.
- Now you are ready to steam-cook the momos. Heat a pressure cooker or a steamer.
- Grease the perforated plate with oil. Place it inside the steamer.
- Arrange momos on the plate, leaving a little gap between them.
- Steam for 6 minutes. If using a pressure cooker, don't use the weight. Turn off the heat. They are done!
- Transfer the momos to a serving bowl. Enjoy eating these hot momos with Szechuan sauce or any other sauce or dip. Enjoy!
ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on April 23, 2018:
Thanks Louise for reading my hub. These dumplings are healthy and delicious. I hope, they will be a hit in your family.
Louise Clare from Muscat, Oman on April 22, 2018:
Looks delicious, I also share a passion for
food and love trying out new recipes. I will try these out one day. Thank you for sharing!
ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on June 16, 2017:
True Gyanendra. I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
gyanendra mocktan from Kathmandu,Nepal on June 15, 2017:
Shaila Sheshadriji. I think spreading happiness is one of the rarest gifts
ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on June 14, 2017:
Thanks for your inspiring words. Please follow my articles. I treasure your comments.
gyanendra mocktan from Kathmandu,Nepal on June 14, 2017:
Hope to read more of your articles. Thank you again
ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on June 01, 2017:
Thanks Gyanendra. I am happy about your lovely comment.
gyanendra mocktan from Kathmandu,Nepal on June 01, 2017:
The article presents accurately about momo. Thank you very much.