I worked as a banker for 17 years. I love staying fit and cooking tasty and healthy meals. I don't use artificial colors and preservatives.
Nutritional Benefits of Chickpeas
Garbanzo beans (kabuli chana) are a type of chickpea, and they're a good source of various nutrients. They contain abundant fiber, which can help control blood sugar and improve insulin secretion. They also contain a type of antioxidant called phytonutrients. Additionally, they're a good source of vitamin C, vitamin E, and beta-carotene.
Small amounts of these delicious beans help you feel quite full. This will help you eat less; this, in turn, helps with weight management.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 1 cup garbanzo beans, soaked in water for 10 hours or soaked overnight
- 1/4 cup carrot, diced
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 inch ginger, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, slit lengthwise
- 3/4 cup tomato, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chole masala, available in Indian stores (I used Everest Chole Masala)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- Soak the chickpeas (kabuli chana) in water for about 10 hours or overnight.
- Cook the soaked chickpeas with diced carrot, water, and 1 teaspoon of salt. Roughly mash the mixture.
- Heat the oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds and let them crackle. Add the chopped onion, green chili, and ginger. Saute till the onion turns golden. Throw in the chopped tomato. Cook till the tomato becomes mushy.
- Add the red chili powder and chole masala powder. Stir-cook till the raw smell of the masala powder disappears.
- Pour in the mashed garbanzo beans. Mix well. Add salt and sugar. Cook on low fire for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- The chickpea curry (chole masala) is ready to serve. Serve with poori, chapati, or with any other flatbread.
ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on March 17, 2017:
Thank you! It is a healthy and an awesome curry. Do try it.
Janelle from Houston on March 17, 2017:
This looks delicious! I eat a plant-based diet now so I will definitely have to give this a try. Thanks for sharing!