Shwetha Bhat is passionate about cooking. She loves to prepare meals with healthy and easily available ingredients.
Tasty and Healthy Indian-Style Gravy
This coconut gravy dish has lots of vegetables that are healthy and tasty to eat. The recipe is easy to prepare, as well.
The choice of vegetables is open-ended. You can use any vegetable combination of your choice, which makes this recipe versatile. Fennel seeds and coriander leaves give a nice aroma and flavor to this side dish.
Serve with chapati, roti, paratha etc.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 1 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 9-10 cashews
- 1 cup potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup beans, chopped
- 1 cup peas, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 2 cups water, or as needed
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 1 tablespoon fried gram
- 1 tablespoon melon seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 cup coriander leaves
- 1 tomato, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- In a pan, heat the ghee and oil. Splutter the cumin seeds. Add cashews and saute till cashews turn golden brown in color.
- Add cubed potatoes, chopped beans and peas. Add turmeric powder and salt. Mix well. Add water, close the lid and cook the vegetables over medium flame.
- In a mixer jar, add grated coconut, fried gram, melon seeds, fennel seeds, coriander leaves, tomato and 1/4 cup water. Close the lid and grind to a fine paste.
- After the vegetables are cooked well, add the ground paste, 1/2 cup water, red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and salt. Mix to combine well. Add more water if required for the desired consistency. Adjust salt.
- Close the lid and cook for 5 minutes. Switch off the flame.
- Vegetable gravy is ready now. Serve hot with roti, chapati or paratha. Enjoy.
- Other vegetable options: broccoli, cauliflower, sweet corn, capsicum, carrot etc.
- You can add paneer to this gravy.
- Omit the ghee and use only oil if you prefer.
- Keep the cubed potatoes in water until use to avoid discoloration.
- You can replace melon seeds with poppy seeds.
- Increase the quantity of spice powders for a spicier gravy. You can add green chili, too.