A Popular South Indian Kurma
This is a very popular South Indian kurma with lots of vegetables. It is an excellent companion for chapati, roti, paratha, poori or rice. It is one of the best ways to add nutrients and minerals to your daily diet.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 1/2 cup beans, washed and chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots, washed and chopped
- 1/2 cup potatoes, skin peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup baby corn, washed and chopped
- 1/2 cup peas, fresh or frozen
- 2 cups water, or as needed
- Salt, to taste
- 1–2 tablespoons ghee or oil
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 2–3 cloves
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup fresh grated coconut
- 2 tablespoons fried gram
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 4–5 cashews
- 1–2 sprigs fresh curry leaves
- 1–2 green chilies, or to taste
- 1–2 tablespoons coriander leaves
- Wash and chop the beans, carrots, baby corn and potatoes. Set aside. Keep fresh or frozen peas ready.
- Transfer all of the vegetables to a cooker. Add 1/2 cup of water (or as needed), add 1/2 teaspoon of salt, close the lid of cooker and take 3 whistles.
- Switch off the flame and allow the pressure to subside naturally.
- In a pan, heat 1–2 tablespoons of oil or ghee. Add cinnamon, cloves and cumin seeds. Let them splutter.
- Add the fresh grated coconut, fried gram, poppy seeds and cashews. Fry till aromatic.
- Add green chilies, curry leaves and coriander leaves. Fry for a few seconds and switch off the flame. Let the mixture cool down completely.
- After cooling down, transfer the fried ingredients to a mixer jar, add water and blend to a fine paste.
- Once the pressure subsides, open the lid of the cooker, switch on the flame and add the ground paste. Mix well.
- Add water to reach the desired consistency. Taste for salt and adjust if needed. Let it cook for 2 minutes and switch off the flame.
- Vegetable kurma is ready to serve. Serve hot with chapati, roti, poori, paratha or rice. Enjoy!
- The choice of vegetables is open-ended. You can add any variety of vegetables of your choice.
- Onion is not used in this kurma, but you can add it if you wish.
- Increase the amount of green chilies as per your desired spice level.