Rajan loves cooking dishes from his native Indian cuisine. He likes to share his favourite recipes with his online readers.
Vermicelli custard, a pudding prepared with vermicelli or sevai, is a very popular Indian dessert. Quick to prepare and very yummy, it is made with roasted vermicelli, milk and nuts.
Do try this simple dessert and share your experience.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 500 ml full-cream milk
- 1/4 cup roasted sevai (vermicelli)
- 1 pinch kesar (saffron)
- 1 tbsp vanilla custard powder, dissolved in 1 tbsp milk
- 4 tbsp ground mishri (rock sugar) or table sugar
- 10 almonds, sliced
- 10 cashews, chopped
- 10 pistachios, sliced
- 10-15 raisins
- Heat the milk until it comes to a boil; then reduce the heat to low, add the roasted vermicelli and saffron and mix well. Add the sugar and nuts but reserve some for garnish. Do not add the raisins.
- After 2-3 minutes, raise the heat to low-medium and cook until the vermicelli is soft (this should take about 5 minutes).
- Reduce heat to low. Add the custard powder and milk mixture to the pan and stir-cook for 1 minute.
- Remove the vermicelli custard from the stove and let it cool down completely.
- Garnish the dish with the raisins as well as the reserved nuts.
- Chill in the refrigerator before serving.
Vermicelli Custard Recipe
© 2021 Rajan Singh Jolly