Yogurt-Based Okra Potato Curry
Eating Okra Has Multiple Benefits!
I buy okra often. It has a unique and pleasing flavor, it cooks quickly, and it has many health benefits, as well. This vegetable is rich in folate, antioxidants, minerals, fiber, and nutrients.
This mildly spicy okra potato curry is yogurt-based, and it's lovely when served with chapati, roti, or rice. I made this curry in just 30 minutes, and it made enough for three people.
- 1 cup okra, washed, cut lengthwise into 1-cm strips
- 1 cup potato, peeled, cubed into 1-cm cubes, washed with water
- 1/2 cup thick yogurt (use a less-sour type)
- 2 green chilies, crushed
- 1/4 inch ginger, crushed
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small tomato, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 3 teaspoons oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped, for garnish
- In a blender or mixer, add green chilies, garlic cloves, and ginger. Make a paste. Collect it in a small bowl.
- Heat the oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Add cumin seeds. Let them crackle.
- Add chopped onions. Saute them until they become pinkish.
- Throw in potato cubes and okra pieces. Add some salt. Saute the mixture for 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle some water to keep the contents wet. Cover the pan and cook over medium-low heat until the veggies are about halfway cooked through.
- Add chopped tomatoes. Continue cooking for 3-4 minutes or until tomatoes get mashed a bit.
- Add the ground spice masala mixture, red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, and garam masala powder. Saute for 30 seconds. Add yogurt. Add remaining salt. Mix well.
- Let the mixture come to a gentle boil. Turn off the heat after 1 minute.
- Mouth-watering okra potato curry is ready! Transfer the curry to a serving bowl.
- Garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve with roti, chapati, or steamed rice. Enjoy!
Nutritional Information of Okra Potato Curry
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 2 g||3%|
|Carbohydrates 5 g||2%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 2 g||4%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 56 mg||2%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|