Shwetha Bhat is passionate about food and cooking. She loves to experiment in the kitchen and share her recipes.
Colorful and Tasty Indian Dish
Cabbage and peas stir-fry is a tasty side dish prepared using cabbage, green peas and spices. Easy to prepare, it takes very little time and calls for only a few simple ingredients. It is flavorful, colorful and nutritious, too.
Cabbage is a low-carb vegetable that is full of nutrients, including vitamin K. Green peas are rich in protein, fiber and antioxidants.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 1 cup cabbage, shredded or finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger, chopped
- 4 to 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup peas, fresh or frozen
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 to 2 green chilies, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup water, or needed
- Finely chop the cabbage (discard the stalk), onion, tomato, fresh ginger, garlic and green chilies. Set aside.
- Heat the cooking oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Let them splutter.
- Add the chopped ginger, garlic and green chilies. Fry for 1 minute.
- Add the chopped onion and turmeric powder. Fry till the onion becomes translucent.
- Add the chopped tomato and fry for 1 minute (or till tomatoes become mushy).
- Add the red chili powder, coriander powder and cumin powder. Mix well over low flame. Do not burn the spices.
- Add the chopped cabbage and peas, mixing well with the spices.
- Add the water, cover with a lid and cook over medium flame. Stir occasionally.
- Open the lid and add more water if required. Cook till the cabbage and peas are cooked well (do not overcook the vegetables; the cabbage should be a little crunchy).
- Add the garam masala powder. Add salt if required. Turn off the flame.
- Serve hot with any Indian bread like chapati, paratha or phulka. This dish pairs well with rasam rice, too.
Read More From Delishably
- Be careful about how much water you add. The cabbage will naturally release water while cooking, so if you add too much water the cabbage may become mushy.
- Adjust the amounts of the spice powders as per your desired level of spiciness.
- Lemon juice can be added to this dish.
- Fresh or frozen peas can be used.
- Using fresh cabbage will produce the best flavor.
- You can also add shredded carrots to this stir-fry.
- Finely chopping or shredding the cabbage will reduce the cook time.
- Try using green or purple cabbage, as well.