Amy is a doctor by profession who is passionate about cooking.
What Are Momos?
Popular in East and South Asia, momos are similar to dumplings. They are dough wrappers that have been stuffed with chicken, beef, mutton, or vegetable filling. Momos are absolutely delicious, and they're even better when served with spicy sauce.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
For the filling:
- 250 grams chicken, sliced into small cubes
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon pepper powder
- 2 teaspoons oil
For the dough:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon oil
- Measuring cup
- Rolling pin
- Steamer pot or pressure cooker
Step 1: Make the Filling
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium flame.
- Add finely chopped onion and salt. Sauté well.
- Add sliced chicken pieces and sauté well.
- Add soy sauce, tomato sauce, pepper powder, and salt.
- Close the lid and leave it for almost 15 minutes until the chicken is completely cooked. Stir occasionally to avoid charring.
- When it's completely cooked, remove from heat and set aside.
Step 2: Make the Dough
- In a bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, salt, water, and oil. Knead well.
- Roll the dough into a log and divide into equal parts.
- Roll each part into small balls.
Step 3: Assemble the Momos
- Take a ball of dough and dip it in a small bowl of all-purpose flour.
- Roll out the ball into a thin circle using a rolling pin.
- Apply water at the edges using brush or spoon.
- Place 1 tablespoon of the prepared filling in the middle of the dough circle.
- Wrap the edges together to form the perfect shape of momos (refer to photos).
- Repeat the same procedure for all the dough balls.
- Transfer all these to a tray greased with oil and cook it in a steamer pot for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve hot with spicy sauce.