Indian Pineapple Sweet Rice (Ananas Ka Muzaffar)
Pineapple sweet rice is a part of India's Mughlai-Nawab cuisine. Especially popular in Lucknow and Hyderabad, this aromatic pineapple rice dish is a sweet pulao that is made on special occasions and festivals. The original name for this dish is ananas ka muzaffar. The name comes from Urdu, and it translates to "celebrating victory with pineapple."
This rice dish tastes completely different from pineapple kesari, which is another typical local dish. There are many other sweet pulaos, as well, like mishti, basanti, and zarda.
My husband is not a big fan of desserts or sweet things, but when he ate this pineapple rice he loved it.
- 1 cup basmati rice, soaked for at least 30 minutes
- 1 cup pineapple, sliced into small pieces
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons ghee
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 10 pistachios, chopped
- 10 almonds, chopped
- 10 raisins
Tips and Tricks
- I recommend using basmati rice rather than sonamasuri rice. Basmati is less sticky.
- Soak the saffron in warm milk for at least 20 minutes to get an attractive color.
- In a wide pan, heat 1 tablespoon of ghee over low flame and roast the raisins to a golden color. Set the raisins aside.
- To the same pan, add 2 tablespoons of ghee and the chopped pineapple.
- Saute for 2 minutes. Cover and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Once the pineapple becomes slightly soft, add the sugar and give it a quick mix.
- Let it cook for 5 minutes over low flame. Keep stirring in between and make sure it doesn't scorch. Once it is done, turn off the flame.
- In another pan, add 1 1/2 cups of water.
- While heating the water, add 1 tablespoon of ghee along with the salt, saffron, and milk. When it starts boiling, add the soaked rice.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes over medium flame. Mix gently and make sure rice is cooked only 80%.
- Add the cooked pineapple, cardamom powder, roasted raisins, sliced almonds, and pistachios.
- Mix gently and cook the rice completely over low flame.
- Serve the pineapple sweet rice with few more nuts and enjoy.
Photo GuideClick thumbnail to view full-size
Please do try and let me know how it is in the comments section below.