Every time I make this tart for guests, they ask me to make it again the next time they come for dinner.
Portuguese Cream Tart
Portuguese cuisine is closely related to Mediterranean cuisine, and it is characterised by rich, filling and full-flavoured dishes. Portuguese desserts are quite famous all over Europe, and they are starting to become popular overseas, as well. The cream tart (tarte de natas) is a very traditional dessert. It is on the dessert menu at every local restaurant, and at Christmastime, it is on every family's table.
I find that this tart is the perfect way to end a spicy meal—it is cool, soft and soothing. When you taste it, you will probably think it is really difficult to make, but it is actually very easy. Every time I make it for guests, they always rave about it and ask me to make it again the next time they come for dinner. I'm often asked how to make it, and I'm happy to share the recipe with you now.
- 600 mL double cream
- 1 can condensed milk
- 5 sheets gelatin
- 1 packet cookies ("Maria" or rich tea or butter)
- Place the cream in the freezer for 10 minutes. It needs to be very cold.
- Beat cold cream until thick. Add condensed milk and mix well.
- Put the gelatin sheets in a cup of hot water for a few minutes so they become soft. Let it cool before adding to the cream mixture.
- Add the gelatin to the cream and beat well. Place in a nice dish.
- Smash cookies or use them whole. I usually put them in the blender to get a really fine powder, then I sprinkle that powder on top of the mixture.
- Place in the fridge for 6 (or more) hours. Serve cold.
I have included a video for you to see how easy it is to create this beautiful and delicious dessert.
© 2019 Fatima Stevens
Thank You for Reading!
zoe-evans-942 on August 13, 2013:
Just ate this in a restaurant in Portugal! So good! I can't wait to make it at home! Thanks for sharing the recipe! Xxx
blanckj on June 02, 2011:
Looks very yummy. Thanks for sharing.
anonymous on May 17, 2011:
Your Portuguese Cream Tart sounds very rich and wonderfully satisfying.